Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

How do you listen to music?

Anything related to music goes here.

How do you like to listen to Music?

CDs
50%
MP3
No votes
Spotify
25%
Amazon Music
25%
Other Streaming Service
No votes

Total votes : 4

How do you listen to music?

Postby VaCcAr0 » November 17th, 2017, 4:16 am

What is your preferred method of listening to music and why?

If you use a streaming service then which one do you use and why?
My Favorite Short Horror Films

Learn Stuff: Intro to Western Civilization, Renaissance Humanism, Absolutism and Mercantilism

"Now that I have found someone I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before. She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly" - Ben Folds Five

VaCcAr0
Board Leader
Board Leader

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

The Topic Starter
Mood: IDGAF

Re: How do you listen to music?

Postby Faerie Tanith » November 17th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I still prefer to use CDs whenever I can. Having previously worked in a CD store and having grown up with a father who deals in vinyl for a living, it feels important to buy physical copies of albums instead of just downloading. I still do download and stream, but I prefer owning the actual CDs.

That said, at the moment I use Spotify the most, since it's so easy to put playlists together and there's so much choice. It's also incredibly useful for discovering music I wouldn't have otherwise found or given a chance. It's good on the go and I have a specific playlist for work now too.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Mood: Yeehaw

Postby VaCcAr0 » November 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm

The convenience of streaming is really like no other. I primarily use Amazon music ($79/year so it was the cheapest option). CDs do technically have better audio quality since it's uncompressed. But I honestly can't even tell the the difference between audio with a 256 kbps bitrate vs a 320 kbps bitrate vs. lossless. It all sounds the same to me.

But one thing that mp3s and streaming haven't really mimicked is seamless transitions between tracks. Like if you listen to a Pink Floyd CD, it's hard to tell when one song ends and the next one begins. There is no pause in between. But with streaming, there is a pause between tracks that shouldn't be there. It'd be cool if there was a way to change that.

Learn Stuff: Intro to Western Civilization, Renaissance Humanism, Absolutism and Mercantilism

"Now that I have found someone I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before. She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly" - Ben Folds Five

VaCcAr0
Board Leader
Board Leader

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Faerie Tanith » November 17th, 2017, 8:21 pm

VaCcAr0 wrote:But one thing that mp3s and streaming haven't really mimicked is seamless transitions between tracks. Like if you listen to a Pink Floyd CD, it's hard to tell when one song ends and the next one begins. There is no pause in between. But with streaming, there is a pause between tracks that shouldn't be there. It'd be cool if there was a way to change that.

God, this didn't even occur to me but you're absolutely right. It's worse when you're listening to streamed music on shuffle and a song that was meant to seamlessly fade into the next track just suddenly gets cut off. Lacuna Coil's album Comalies has a transition like this between Aeon and Tight Rope, and I can never really bring myself to play those songs separately while streaming because they just don't sound right.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Postby VaCcAr0 » November 20th, 2017, 3:35 am

Actually, it looks like Spotify does indeed have the gapless playback / crossfade feature. Just for that, I might switch over to Spotify next year.

VaCcAr0
Board Leader
Board Leader

The Topic Starter

Postby Faerie Tanith » November 22nd, 2017, 11:32 am

...How have I missed this?

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Postby Cynical Corpse » December 4th, 2017, 2:07 pm

I prefer CDs because it's how I grew up. I have always liked collecting CDs (and occasionaly vinyl disks)
Cynical Corpse
SAW Addictive

Rank experience:
23.1%

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Mood: Shattered

Postby Kitty » February 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm

CDs.
SAW! SAW II! SAW III! SAW IV! SAW V! SAW VI! SAW 3D! and JIGSAW!

I finally found Billy - 29/04/2013 & X on 19/10/2013!
I found Billy again - 03/01/2014!
http://twitter.com/Kitty1Lin
Team Jigsaw
Kitty

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Mood: Heart Broken

Postby Seraphina » March 12th, 2018, 8:57 pm

I haven't bought a physical CD in 8-10 years. I either play mp3s on my phone or stream YouTube with my PS4.
Reborn and stronger than ever
Seraphina
Victim

Rank experience:
40%

Mood: Lucky

Postby Cynical Corpse » March 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm

also great for music: Winamp
Cynical Corpse
SAW Addictive

Rank experience: