Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Movie no longer called Saw: Legacy, now retitled as "JIGSAW"

Sequel or Prequel?

Movie no longer called Saw: Legacy, now retitled as "JIGSAW"

Postby Vinc360 » June 5th, 2017, 1:14 pm

http://www.filmratings.com/Search?filmT ... cy&x=0&y=0

Much better title both for its eventual commercial success through marketing and for the type of movie it is.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

The Topic Starter

Re: Movie no longer called Saw: Legacy, now retitled as "JIG

Postby RealmOfLutherNiles » June 5th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Not sure what to think about this. I mean, it's just a title and of course I'll watch the film nonetheless, but personally, I absolutely don't like that they want to change the title.
"Ten faded places, that will fall prey to evil..."- The Whisperer
RealmOfLutherNiles
Fix me!

Rank experience:
10.4%

1 year of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » June 6th, 2017, 4:45 am

It seems they really want people to forget the travesty that was Saw 3D.

It seems to be the opposite. Saw 3D only had 5 minutes of Tobin Bell, perhaps even less. Now the new movie seems to give Jigsaw the focus he needs.
Saw Warrior
Victim

Rank experience:
72.5%

Postby Vinc360 » June 6th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I definitely expect a huge focus on both new and old Jigsaw
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

The Topic Starter

Postby Whirlwind » June 6th, 2017, 11:49 pm

I like the change. I think it is much more marketable.
Whirlwind
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
9%

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby Faerie Tanith » June 8th, 2017, 12:08 am

...Huh. Okay then.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson
Faerie Tanith
Victim

Rank experience:
45.5%

Mood: Lonely

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » June 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm

Seems like a smart decision. The titles wont have to get weird and convoluted if this becomes a new string of sequels. Rather than having to come up with increasingly generic subtitles for each sequel they can just call them Jigsaw 2, Jigsaw 3, etc
Jigsaw_Expert
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
91%

Postby The Fidge » June 18th, 2017, 4:32 am

Sounds like a wise move since, judging from what we know so far, they want to distance themselves from the original saga and not just add yet another chapter to a closed story.

Also as Jigsaw Expert said, this gives potential sequels a better launch pad.
The Fidge
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
7%

Postby sawguy77 » June 18th, 2017, 8:20 am

No offense but naming sequels jigsaw 2, 3 etc is a really dumb idea.. Also they are not trying to distance themselves from the previous movies either..
sawguy77
Victim

Rank experience:
11%

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » June 20th, 2017, 1:51 pm

sawguy77 wrote:No offense but naming sequels jigsaw 2, 3 etc is a really dumb idea..

How so? It's more effective than naming them Saw: Legacy, Saw: Revelations, Saw: Requiem, Saw: Revengeance. The only thing these subtitles will be effective at is confusing the general public. Calling them Jigsaw 2, Jigsaw 3, Jigsaw 4 will allow casual viewers to easily distinguish the old series from the new series.
sawguy77 wrote:Also they are not trying to distance themselves from the previous movies either..

I believe they are. I'm expecting (and hoping for) a brand new villain with little to no connections at all with John Kramer. In my opinion the only connection to the original series this film should have is the fact the previous Jigsaw murders happened. They'll obviously be referenced in passing conversations but none of the details should be important. Tobin Bell has been confirmed to return in some capacity (flashbacks, obviously) and that's fine, since "this guy being the original killer" is not a hard concept for casual viewers to grasp. I'm fine with one or two minor characters returning (Donna Evans may possibly return to die in a trap), not characters who have a long winding backstory that's important to know. For example, Donna Evans had once scene in VII, a talk show host. When and if she shows up in this one it doesn't matter if they know she was in a prior film. She was just a talk show host and was inconsequential to the story. A few familiar faces is fine for the fans, as long as they were don't have elaborate roles in the original series which is relevant to this new film.

Distancing themselves from the original series as much as possible is the smartest decision they can make. Most casual viewers don't even know who Hoffman is, let alone care about him. As much as I loved Costas Mandylor's performance, I feel as if bringing his character back for anything more than a small role could scare off casual viewers. Using his character for major plot points could be a mistake.

The last thing you want to do is tell new viewers they have to watch seven films to understand what the deal is with this character. Unless they want to do some recap on the Hoffman character, but new viewers wont have the emotional connection to care about what Hoffman does because they didn't spend four movies watching his character evolve.

I know it'll piss off certain diehard fans, but I really think everyone should temper their expectations. The original series became a mess, and while how convoluted the story became was a big part of the charm, it's not something you can carry over or continue after a seven year gap. General moviegoers simply do not care to remember all the ins and outs of the original series, and that's assuming they even saw the original seven.

I'm expecting the only elements from the original series to carry over to be the Billy puppet (maybe redesigned), John Kramer himself for flashback usage and the fact the Jigsaw murders happened. If Hoffman appears at all I don't think he'll have a big role. The focus will be on a new villain to carry the next set of sequels, assuming this one is successful enough to commission a new string of sequels. You cant hang onto these old characters forever, you have to embrace the future.
Jigsaw_Expert
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
91%

Next

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)