Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Postby Faerie Tanith » October 4th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Saw Warrior wrote:Yeah, another time twist would suck, but I can't see anything different. They have a story with Jigsaw and they can't simply ignore that and pretend that nothing happened.

Unpopular opinion, but this is why I kind of wish they'd just left the franchise alone when it wrapped in 2010. :nails:
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Mood: Annoyed

Postby Vinc360 » October 9th, 2018, 2:47 am

Soooo as of early this week, it's back to the drawing board. Not sure when to expect this movie anymore. Probably still next year as the goal, but they still can't agree on what to do with it. It seems highly unlikely we'll ever get a direct sequel to Jigsaw though, given Lionsgate would not greenlight that, seemingly. Lionsgate is also actively looking to purchase other horror movies, they want to dominate that space again and while I expected them to use Saw as their launchpad, it seems they're pickier than usual about what they want from it. Now sure that sounds like a good thing, but at the end of the day it's their opinion. If you subscribe to the idea that Lionsgate knows what's best for the franchise, then this is good news. I don't have a take on this, as I don't really know what I want from it myself, nor if it lines up with Lionsgate's ideas.

I do think Jigsaw was too soft of a soft-reboot, that was my biggest problem with the movie. Whatever they do with the next one, I hope they slow down on the flashbacks and move the series forward.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
23%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Saw Warrior » October 9th, 2018, 5:13 am

Vinc360 wrote:Soooo as of early this week, it's back to the drawing board. Not sure when to expect this movie anymore. Probably still next year as the goal, but they still can't agree on what to do with it. It seems highly unlikely we'll ever get a direct sequel to Jigsaw though, given Lionsgate would not greenlight that, seemingly. Lionsgate is also actively looking to purchase other horror movies, they want to dominate that space again and while I expected them to use Saw as their launchpad, it seems they're pickier than usual about what they want from it. Now sure that sounds like a good thing, but at the end of the day it's their opinion. If you subscribe to the idea that Lionsgate knows what's best for the franchise, then this is good news. I don't have a take on this, as I don't really know what I want from it myself, nor if it lines up with Lionsgate's ideas.

I do think Jigsaw was too soft of a soft-reboot, that was my biggest problem with the movie. Whatever they do with the next one, I hope they slow down on the flashbacks and move the series forward.

That's interesting, but they can't ignore Jigsaw. I mean, the movie left a lot of questions and cliffhangers to be adressed.

Jigsaw isn't a reboot, it's a sequel pretending to be a reboot. I want to see Logan, Eleanor and Keith back again, they have a lot of potential.

Are Josh and Pete still writing the next movie?
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
57.5%

1 year of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » October 9th, 2018, 5:16 am

Lionsgate also needs a hit. Saw is a safe bet, given its small budget.

Hell Fest isn't doing well. They better focus on Saw while it's still hot. By the way, Tobin Bell isn't getting younger. Just hurry up and start producing the new movie.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
57.5%

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » October 9th, 2018, 5:33 am

This is really bad news in my opinion. I don't really know what Lionsgate expects to happen by rebooting SAW again. We all know that Jigsaw was only really a soft reboot, but they marketed the hell out of Jigsaw as if it was a complete reboot.

Changing the title, not letting the audience know if Jigsaw himself was going to be in it, not needing to see any previous SAW movies to get this one.

I just feel like it would be weird to do another reboot, and an even harsher reboot that would distance itself even more from the franchise. I don't really know why Lionsgate would expect another reboot of Saw to perform better than Jigsaw.

I also do not trust Lionsgate at all as I feel like they've ruined some of the Saw movies in the past by putting stipulations on the movies, maybe that was Twisted Pictures, but I always figured it was Liongsate pulling the strings.

I wish Blumhouse had the Saw series, I really feel like they would do it right. If they don't release a new SAW film next halloween you might as well put a fork in the series, cause I really don't think a 3 year break would help.

As a Saw fan I would be extremely disappointed if after 7 years they came out with a Saw movie and then just decided to throw it to the side again and reboot the franchise again.....They can easily pull a Saw 2 where they make it a sequel but it is essentially a standalone that is loosely tied into the first movie.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
96%

1 year of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » October 10th, 2018, 1:13 am

I think they should finish the story they started in Jigsaw, at least.

Cops think Halloran is the new killer, we don't know who was in the car that Eleanor saw, we don't know if Logan will keep making games, we don't know what happened to Jigsaw's body, we don't know what was Edgar's test.

I think they'll have something to start filming on November/Dezember, so it can get a 2019 release. Let's hope.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
57.5%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » October 10th, 2018, 4:57 am

I don't believe it's possible they would start filming before March, which is fine. They'd still have enough time for Halloween 2019. But I would not rule out 2020, even though I do think 2019 is the goal.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
23%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » November 1st, 2018, 11:27 pm

So, the next movie will likely only have one Jigsaw, and it'll be John Kramer. I don't think it'll be a sequel to Jigsaw, but rather a prequel with no apprentices.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
23%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Saw Warrior » November 2nd, 2018, 4:56 am

Vinc360 wrote:So, the next movie will likely only have one Jigsaw, and it'll be John Kramer. I don't think it'll be a sequel to Jigsaw, but rather a prequel with no apprentices.

Whoa! That's interesting, at least. It seems the next movie is definitely happening.

Are Josh and Pete back as writers?
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
57.5%

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » November 2nd, 2018, 5:46 am

Vinc360 wrote:So, the next movie will likely only have one Jigsaw, and it'll be John Kramer. I don't think it'll be a sequel to Jigsaw, but rather a prequel with no apprentices.

Interesting I like this idea only because it seems like Tobin Bell would be featured a lot potentially in the movie, and it gives me Saw 1 vibes if it's going to truly be just John Kramer (I know he had other help in Saw I, but they weren't featured at the time of the movie).

Still not sure where the movie would fit in the timeline, I thought Jigsaw showed John Kramer's first game basically, I guess it might not have been.

At this point I just like the idea of a drawn back, simplistic SAW movie that can focus on the plot and not so much on the twists/traps. I still do think it's a mistake to make this a one off movie essentially and not have it tied into the previous movies.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
96%

1 year of membership

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)