Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Hollywood RUINED Saw Series...

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: Hollywood RUINED Saw Series...

Postby Vinc360 » July 26th, 2017, 1:50 am

Well... unfortunately that's not how the business works. I wish they'd make another Saw 1-type thriller myself, but they wouldn't if it came at the cost of the series' continued growth. I don't personally think it has to come at that cost, but they clearly feel differently, and probably have far more data to back this up than I do.
Vinc360
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
85%

Postby evanmav » July 26th, 2017, 2:16 am

Honestly if they make the SAW movies like they did in the past they will BOMB at the box office. Jigsaw might do well because of nostalgia and such, but since SAW 3D the movie industry has changed. People are way more conscious of seeing actually good movies. They rely on rotten tomatoes and other sites to let them know if a movie is worth seeing.

If they produce a piece of crap film that gets a rotten tomatoes of like 30% or less then the film is screwed. It might do well opening weekend, but once word of mouth spreads the series will be done. They should really focus on making a great film that is critically accepted. That's the best way for the movie to have legs at the box office and attract new fans.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
8%

Postby Vinc360 » July 26th, 2017, 2:35 am

I fully expect the movie to be rotten on RT, and I agree that it'll likely hurt it more than it did in the past... but they have a strong hook this time: Nostalgia.
Vinc360
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
85%

Postby freespirit777 » July 26th, 2017, 6:29 am

Vinc360 wrote:Well... unfortunately that's not how the business works. I wish they'd make another Saw 1-type thriller myself, but they wouldn't if it came at the cost of the series' continued growth. I don't personally think it has to come at that cost, but they clearly feel differently, and probably have far more data to back this up than I do.

yeah that's the "entertainment industry" I guess... soo lame.

money should never be a motivator for creating art ever. sadly, it's mostly the motivator seeing how many movies come out that are copies of one another... (most, not all films)
freespirit777
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
8%

The Topic Starter

Postby Saw Warrior » July 31st, 2017, 8:35 pm

I think most of the Saw movies were pretty much cheap and all of them made a profit. Yes, even Saw 6 made a profit.

The real problem is not Hollywood "ruining" Saw series. In fact, Saw is probably the only series that cared about the characters, the plot and continuity. You don't see this anywhere. No recasting. Nada. Impressive.

Producers ruinded Saw 3D by forcing the writers to mix plots of 2 movies together. We got a rushed movie with some fine parts, but really weak overall.

I'm glad they took their time and now we have Jigsaw, which seems to not be rushed. They had 7 years to come with something.
Saw Warrior
Victim

Rank experience:
41%

Postby Journey95 » August 1st, 2017, 10:13 pm

The first Saw is overrated. Yeah its obviously great but people can't stop circlejerking over it and how its the only good movie of the series. Thats bullshit.

Saw 2 and 3 especially have a lot of great character moments and explore them in depth (especially Kramer and Amanda)

Gordon and Adam are solid d characters but not even that interesting (Jigsaw, Amanda, Hoffman, Eric, William are all better characters) and Jigsaw barely had any screentime. Zepp wasn't explored at all either..

Not to mention how much the acting sucks or how the movie relies on its big twist. Just because it was more personal and had less gore doesn't mean its somehow better.

So this deep artistic character study nonsense is silly and I'm tired of people bashing the rest of the series and dumbing them down.

The only shit movie was the last one and thats enough to ruin Saw at all. If anything the big problem was that despite the fantastic continuity the writers didn't plan ahead so that had consequences.
Journey95
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
25%

Postby Vinc360 » August 3rd, 2017, 5:03 pm

I'd personally say II and VI are close behind the original Saw. III was decent, but was hurt by horrible lead characters outside of Jigsaw and Amanda. I also wasn't as big of a fan of Amanda after I and II, but that goes back to me not liking the idea of apprentices and Jigsaw being a mentor.

I'd call Saw IV misguided and damaging, Saw V an unmitigated disaster, Saw VI miraculously great (thanks Kevin Greutert), and 3D a complete and utter trainwreck of epic proportions.

I'd say starting with Saw III, each movie fucked the next installment pretty badly, save for VI. III fucked IV and made it hard to make, IV was still not as good as it could've been, and fucked V. V royally fucked VI's box office (with the help of PA) despite VI sidestepping all the creative issues that could've stemmed from being a sequel to IV and V... and 3D was fucked by VI's numbers... and Lionsgate getting cold feet... I'd say KG being yanked away from PA was also a bad move, but I'm not sure it really hurt the movie itself that much.
Vinc360
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
85%

Postby Luvers » August 5th, 2017, 12:10 am

freespirit777 wrote:The sequels definitely have some intriguing character moments, but I feel they could have definitely been sooo much better, had they gone with the same approach as the original;)
As someone who prefers the sequels and always watched for the story, I am VERY HAPPY the sequels did not try to be like the original.
freespirit777 wrote:focus on the character-study aspect, keep it simple, don't try to make it a horror movie etc..)
WTF? Are you serious? The original Saw film is one of the most laughably bad horror films in history. Character study? It had NO characters. Just plot devices to get from one scene to the next. It was definitely "simple", though not in the way you use the word, for sure.
freespirit777 wrote:They just became pretty watered down, and lost there depth/substance that was present in the first one.
Yet they are all miles ahead in story, characters, scope and detail.

freespirit777 wrote:The first film was an actual CREATIVE and ARTISTIC release from honest artists, not some quick cash grab by some big studios.. the film was supposed to be released straight to dvd, and so it wasn't about money in the way the sequels were; it was a sincere love for creating a well thought out film with depth and substance.)
Yet the sequels are very well thought out with depth and substance galore while the first Saw is very badly conceived, poorly thought out, morally bankrupt and hideously underdeveloped. I have read scripts from teenagers more in depth than the original Saw film. And before you bash me, I can prove just how piss poor the original script was, all you have to do is ask.
Luvers
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
58%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Previous

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)