Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

References to the older films

Sequel or Prequel?

References to the older films

Postby RealmOfLutherNiles » August 10th, 2017, 12:25 am

While rewatching the trailer of Jigsaw, I wondered what kind of references to the older films we could expect in the movie. The most obvious possibility is that some of the characters might mention certain events from the past films. Some of the traps from the older films (Magnum Eyehole, Angel Trap, Water Cube etc.) also clearly count as such references.

What do you think what else we could expect in that regard? We have to keep in mind that there are 7 years between the release of Jigsaw and Saw VII. Therefore, I think the references to the older films might come across as some sort of easter eggs, which only the fans might notice in order not to confuse the audience which hasn't seen the old films.

One thing that comes to my mind are silent cameo appearances of the actors from the previous films. That's probably the most likely choice, besides mentioning past events, as we already had big numbers of such cameos in the previous films, particularly in Saw IV and VII. Another thing they could do is to introduce some characters, which were only mentioned in the previous films, such as Richard Gibbs or Scott Tibbs. They have almost no history in the franchise and therefore wouldn't confuse the audience, but the fans of the old films would still have another connection between the old films and the new ones.

Another possibility would be some sort of newspaper article. Or maybe we see some interesting things in the background, such as the "Four Walls Build a Home" article from Saw IV, Bobby Dagen's "S.U.R.V.I.V.E." brochure from Saw VII, Pamela Jenkin's book "John Kramer - Conundrum of Carnage" or some old logo of John Kramer and Art Blank's Urban Renewal Group.

I'm a very big fan of such easter eggs and I love to look for those things in films, so I'm very interested to see what kind of references you can think of that might let the old fans take a trip down memory lane without confusing the new viewers.
"Ten faded places, that will fall prey to evil..."- The Whisperer
RealmOfLutherNiles
Fix me!

Rank experience:
16.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: References to the older films

Postby Saw Warrior » August 10th, 2017, 1:02 am

All the references I got:

Saw 1- The classic reverse bear trap

Saw 2- The magnum eyehole trap and the cops finding a hideout

Saw 3- Kerry's Angel trap, The Laser trap seems to be like Lynn's collar trap

Saw 4- I don't remember seeing one...

Saw 5- The 5 victims being tested all together and facing a series of traps, Strahm's Water Box trap

Saw 6- I don't think we got one...

Saw 7 ( 3D )- body found by the public. It's not exactly a public trap, but if the body is dropped so it can be found by the public, the idea is similar.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
25.5%

Postby Faerie Tanith » August 10th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I like the idea of another public trap. Of course, the RBT has to be used again. It wouldn't be a real Saw film without it.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
6%

Mood: Invisible

Postby RealmOfLutherNiles » August 10th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Faerie Tanith wrote:I like the idea of another public trap. Of course, the RBT has to be used again. It wouldn't be a real Saw film without it.

I'm glad that it makes an appearance in the film, but I don't think it has to be used again. I think the RBTs "story", if you can call it that way, was finished in Saw 3D, when we finally saw it in action after seven years of waiting. I wouldn't mind if it is used again, but at the moment, I think it will be there as a reference only, albeit a very important one.
"Ten faded places, that will fall prey to evil..."- The Whisperer
RealmOfLutherNiles
Fix me!

Rank experience:
16.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)