Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Opening weekend sales

Sequel or Prequel?

Opening weekend sales

Postby LukeG » October 5th, 2017, 10:30 pm

With the promotion rolling out more for this movie I wanted to put some positive vibes out there and guess the opening weekend sales. We can come back and see who was right.

My guess is around 35
LukeG
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
34%

The Topic Starter

Re: Opening weekend sales

Postby DetectiveChan » October 5th, 2017, 11:57 pm

80+
DetectiveChan
Victim

Rank experience:
1.5%

Mood: Confident

Postby Saw Warrior » October 6th, 2017, 12:05 am

DetectiveChan wrote:80+

Lol, this movie isn't making 80 million for its opening weekend. Hell, it won't probably even make 80 million domestic.

It also has a chance of failing to even make 80 million worldwide. Marketing has been shit, really shit. How can you promote a movie that got its first and probably only trailer released 3 months ago?

I hope we get a new trailer or clip. At best this will perform like Rings. At worst, it'll perform like Saw 6. Then Lionsgate will get desperate and will force the writers to rush 2 movies in one, exactly like what happened after Saw 6 release.

I really hope I'm wrong and this movie makes a lot of money. However, with Thor Ragnarok and Justice League on the way, this movie is gonna be murdered right after its opening weekend.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
7%

Postby DetectiveChan » October 6th, 2017, 12:50 am

Never know, maybe I shot a little high but since it took some time off more people will come and watch it. Marketing is starting to kick off better since it’s getting close to release.
DetectiveChan
Victim

Rank experience:
1.5%

Mood: Confident

Postby sawguy77 » October 6th, 2017, 1:46 am

sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby LukeG » October 6th, 2017, 2:10 am

I really hope for a 50 or 80. With IT being such a horror powerhouse im hoping jigsaw rides its coattails and people want more movie theater horror experience
LukeG
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
34%

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » October 6th, 2017, 4:11 am

45. I think it might do pretty well, actually. Look at the competition, and people will be hungry for a horror movie this Halloween, with lots of potential new fans coming in hot after IT. If the movie gets positive buzz upon release, I can even see it push to 60, as crazy as that may sound. If it's received poorly by critics, though, I can see it doing around 30, and if audiences (cinemascore, etc) don't like it, I can see it doing worse than that... but I'm not pessimistic. I think audiences will really like this movie, and I think people will seek it out. Some old fans will return, and newcomers will want to check this one out in the theater.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
46.5%

Postby LukeG » October 6th, 2017, 7:08 am

Thank you! I think it will be a good opening. 30-40. I have faith in this movie. And I believe Saw fans will enjoy it too
LukeG
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
34%

The Topic Starter

Postby evanmav » October 6th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Wow some of you are making some really crazy predictions! I wish they would come true, especially the 80M one!!! Realistically though I think it'll be somewhere between 20-25 Million opening weekend and that's my best bet.

I'm trying to look at past performance and look at the buzz and hype surrounding this film. I think actually the marketing has made great strides the last week or so, they definitely need to keep it going.

This film is going to be very hard to predict the box office for because it's been so long since the last SAW movie and the last few SAW movies did not perform well (SAW VI and 3D).

Back in the days the SAW films would be doing 30-35 million their opening weekends, at least I believe that's true for SAW II-SAW V, then they started to collapse. The lowest I believe was SAW VI with 15 million. So I'm trying to find a middle ground because the series was incredibly popular during the Saw II-SAW V era but then died down. Does it gain back some new audience and the loyal subscribers and come to open to 30-35 million like the best SAW movies performed? Or does it hit that middle ground and do slightly better than SAW 3D which did $22 million.

At best I think we're looking at a 30-32 million opening weekend, I really don't see it performing better , at worst it should do better than SAW VI which had the bad press of SAW V and went up against Paranormal Activity 2. So at worst it'l do 15 million.

Overall the reviews may kill or make this movie, and the SAW franchise does NOT have a good record with reviews. Even the first SAW was certified rotten by rottentomatoes, and I can't imagine JIGSAW will be a better film than the original.

Still the legs for this movie should be better than previous SAW sequels because people are expecting a reboot of sorts and should attract newer audience members. My final prediction:

OW: $26 million
Domestic Final: $55 million
Worldwide Final: $130 million

Really hoping the Saw franchise can hit that 1 BILLION mark! I think it's around $140 million away.

ALSO, I do want to say that predictions can EASILY change based on buzz and reception, the film is 3 weeks away still so it's really hard to tell what people's thoughts are. I really do find it hard to see this make more than SAW II which had so much buzz, as well SAW III had a huge amount of buzz. Saw franchise is a little stale to be honest at the moment, so I'm hoping this movie will bring some life back. It really needs good reviews I think to thrive. Needs to be 40%+ on RT.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
16%

Postby Vinc360 » October 6th, 2017, 5:16 pm

I completely agree with you that the quality of the movie will affect it even more than previous ones, but I also do think it has a shot at performing better than the previous installments. I saw the trailer is at nearly 70 million views across social media platforms, and that's only the domestic one. There's also the fact that I think the movie is timed very well, and should easily be the event of the Halloween weekend. I think it's smart to release this one on Halloween weekend, rather than the week before that, as Saw 5 and 6 did.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
46.5%

Next

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)