Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Opening weekend sales

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: Opening weekend sales

Postby Faerie Tanith » October 8th, 2017, 1:21 am

Eh, I'll say 30.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
83.4%

Mood: Left Out

Postby ppaiem » October 8th, 2017, 3:37 am

I am not optimistic unfortunately. I think Happy Death Day is gonna steal some of the curious casual horror fans. I think Blade Runner 2049 is gonna have a bit of staying power too. I'm thinking roughly 15 million open maybe? I would love this to be a huge success.

I'm saying that because although I am personally excited, I am not feeling the buzz from others on this one whatsoever.
ppaiem
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
30%

Postby ppaiem » October 30th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Now that it's relevant. *bump*
ppaiem
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
30%

Postby evanmav » October 30th, 2017, 5:40 pm

I knew people were way too optimistic with their projections. I originally thought 20-25 million which I thought was do-able but obviously I was wrong. At the end of the day there really wasn't much hype or buzz for this movie. I blame marketing partially because we never even got a 2nd trailer.....and the first trailer we got was in July. The marketing picked up towards the end but it was too late.

This movie had legit zero competition so it's not a good sign that this didn't do better. It clearly did not find a new audience which sucks. Not really sure how they're going to proceed with the future of the SAW series.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
83%

Postby Vinc360 » October 30th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Something to keep in mind is that while it's far from the only factor, the perceived quality of the previous installment has always affected the sequel's box office, especially domestically.

Saw 1 had the highest perceived quality, so II did the best in the domestic market.
3 did very well, since II had high perceived quality.
4 did a little worse, since III was more of a fans-only affair and didn't score as well with general audiences.
5 did worse, with 4 being the lowest perceived quality at that point.
6 did bad, because 5's perceived quality was very low.
7 did well, because 6's perceived quality was high.
8 did ok despite 7's perceived quality being the lowest of them all.

Of course, other, more important factors come into play, but all things considered, 8 is doing well enough. I don't know how it'll affect 9, but we should all hope for something very high quality!
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
0.5%

1 year of membership

Postby manyofhorror » October 30th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Vinc360 wrote:7 did well, because 6's perceived quality was high.

7 also did well because it had ITS THE LAST ONE CMON ITS NOT COMING BACK GUYS slapped on everything.

I guess 3D was a big draw in 2010 too.
manyofhorror
Victim

Rank experience:
9.5%

Postby Vinc360 » October 30th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Yeah, those 2 things were the biggest factor. But I guarantee VI's higher than usual quality by that point also helped.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
0.5%

1 year of membership

Postby ppaiem » October 30th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Yeah I think Saw 3D benefitted from a Truman Show effect where the general public cared just enough to know how it was going to end.

That's why the producers decided to make VII the last one being that they saw that people were losing interest after V. A final chapter would have likely made less money if they further alienated the public by releasing yet another poorly received sequel in between.
ppaiem
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
30%

Previous

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)