Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Interview with Tobin, Mark and Oren

Sequel or Prequel?

Interview with Tobin, Mark and Oren

Postby evanmav » October 7th, 2017, 5:48 am

Just watched an interesting interview with Tobin Bell, Mark Burg and Oren Koules!

Here's the link for anyone who wants to watch https://build.aol.com/video/59d7b50083b51f35d222a311/

I thought it was a pretty insightful but strange interview. I have to say that Tobin Bell cracks me up. I feel like all of his answers are just very over-complex in a way where he just wants to keep talking and kinda just goes on a rant that doesn't make any sense, but at the same time I can't stop listening.

Most interesting tidbits were that right away they ask about the tone. We get somewhat conflicting answers. Oren says that it's more serious, not like what the trailer portrays, but then Burg says that it's got sarcastic parts. They say the look and feel is different from the past SAW's and that this one they really tried to separate from the previous ones. At one point they said they were pitched up to 100 different ideas over the past 7 years before going with the story they went with.

Said that they really wanted to get an ending that shocked you like the first SAW, which they believe they've done with JIGSAW. Said that they didn't want to make a SAW VIII and that this is a somewhat reboot and that the title being named JIGSAW was picked for that reason of distancing themselves from the previous SAW's.

Also they said they wouldn't shoot in 3D again, and that they don't see an issue with having to shoot a sequel and have it out by next halloween, but aren't thinking about the sequel until Jigsaw comes out.

Overall it was kind of a strange interview. Koules had good answers, Tobin was all over the place with these long winded answers that I loved but made no sense, and then Burg kinda just has some strange sense of humor that was interesting.

You can tell though that they really care about the series, I do think they really wanted to make the best movie possible. They talked about having time on their side which helped tremendously and didn't have to rush the movies like in the past.

This interview gave me more hope in the movie, but at the same time it did scare me a little when Mark Burg said this one has the most laughs or is the funniest SAW of them all. Doesn't really say much in general since none of them were ever really funny, so I'm not sure what to think of that comment. I'm just hoping this movie isn't campy or trying too hard to be funny and break away from the originals.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
16%

The Topic Starter

Re: Interview with Tobin, Mark and Oren

Postby PacnyTuH0 » October 7th, 2017, 3:14 pm

I liked the interview as well. It confirmed my theory that they are creating a new story that doesn't relate to the old characters, besides John. This is because of the brand new audience this film has. A lot of people that are gonna watch it have no idea about the previous Saw films, not to mention the story and the twists. This is why they are gonna be surprised at the end and we won't, since we expect a twist to happen.

(My theory on the new audience is that John's body would not be in the coffin and the viewers would think that he is alive, since they don't know much about the series)

I like that they said that no one they spoke to (or online) came even close to actually predicting what is gonna happen. I'm pretty sure that the trailer doesn't show either the most important characters or even clues to what the story actually is. So I'm not theorizing anymore, since if they said they've been blown away by the story then I don't think I have much of chance of figuring it out.
PacnyTuH0
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
7%

Postby SWIN98 » October 7th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Its not a reboot tho,even the writer confirmed that everything that happened in the previous films.....happened in the same world as Jigsaw.
SWIN98
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
13%

Postby DetectiveChan » October 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Yeah everything that happened in the previous films has happened. They won’t just start fresh cuz then it wouldn’t make any sense at all really. For the new audience to really understand they will watch this movie and be like “Dang ! I need to go back and watch the old one to understand this better” it’s not a reboot, it’s a sequel
DetectiveChan
Victim

Rank experience:
1%

Mood: Confident

Postby Teiseja Melchiora » October 7th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Let's just get this nipped in the bud.

It's a Reboot, a 'Soft' Reboot. But it's a Reboot.

If you want a prime example of what a soft reboot is, look at the cartoon Batman Beyond. It's a Soft Reboot of Batman: The Animated Series.

It's not a Sequel- Sequels are direct successions that directly address prior events or use them as foundations to base the entire plot around. Often with moderate to heavy recycled characters/cast. (We're talking proper sequels here. Not bad/mislabeled ones.)

It's not a Remake- Remakes basically assume audiences are no longer familiar with the original work and COMPLETELY wipe the slate clean; retelling the original story from scratch with new actors, new approaches, ect.

A Soft Reboot, however, does not require obliterating past continuity (that would be a Hard Reboot). It allows you to reset the playing field with fresh faces, fresh ideas, but it also assumes a baseline familiarity with the original world (You know his name, you know his games). We're advancing far enough in the timeline, like Batman Beyond, that even though Saws 1-7 happened they really don't matter in the immediate scheme. Anything in them that DOES matter is just going to be quickly re-explained in movie to set context and that will be that.

But 'because' it's a Soft Reboot anyone with extensive knowledge of Saw 1-7 is going to have an easter egg & guesswork advantage going in. However, unlike a Sequel, it's going to be just as fresh, new, and unpredictable to you (the experienced viewer) as it will be to a fresh, new viewer. Both able to fully enjoy the story regardless of how many prior movies you have/haven't seen.

Edit:

If you want extra examples:

-Jurassic World is a Soft Reboot of Jurassic Park in the same way. Prior movies happened, but they're only alluded to and swept to the side asap. You get a loooot of hidden eggs if you've seen the original, but zero knowledge is required of old material.

-Prometheus/Covenant is a Soft Reboot of Alien/Aliens; only a bit in reverse of prior examples since they're using a backwards jump in the timeline to establish a new mythos for familiar territory. If you know the older movies you can see things coming, but it's all freshly established (and somewhat redesigned) for newer people without rattling too much 'what's to come'.
Teiseja Melchiora
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
6%

Postby SWIN98 » October 7th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Ahhh okay,I understand what you ment,sorry bro,was confused.

In that case,I could see it being a "Soft Reboot" but even Josh Stolberg,AKA the writer that worked on the movie said that everything that happened from Saw I - SAW THE FINAL CHAPTER, Actually happened in the same world as "Jigsaw' Its just so happen that with the way they made this film,you dont have to watch all the Seven movies to be caught up and also Enjoy the "Jigsaw" film
SWIN98
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
13%

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » October 10th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Nice interview, Oren and Mark seem really excited about Jigsaw. I was worried about how much Clouser spoiled in his interview but it's relieving to hear them mention it and say it hasn't spoiled anything.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)