Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

POLL - Rank Jigsaw

Sequel or Prequel?

On a scale of 1 to 8, 1 being best and 8 being worst, where do you rank Jigsaw in the series?

Poll ended at October 31st, 2017, 5:19 am

18%
14%
18%
14%
No votes
27%
5%
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: POLL - Rank Jigsaw

Postby Vinc360 » October 28th, 2017, 7:38 am

Saw - Just unbeatable. It's a bit rough and low budget, but I just find that charming at this point. It's such a classic, one of my all-time favorite movies. It was immediately obvious James Wan and Leigh Whannell would go places. God I love this film.

Saw II - Almost a perfect sequel. Was a little iffy on Amanda's involvement, and didn't think the nerve gas house was as interesting or clever as the bathroom trap overall, but the Jigsaw and Eric scenes were bliss.

Saw III - I think this movie focused too much on being a character drama while forgetting to be a thriller, but the character drama was strong, and it works as a great finale for what I consider to be the "real" Saw franchise. Did not like the obvious sequel setups that serve no purpose in the actual movie (wax on tape, amanda's letter)

Saw VI - This movie had absolutely no right being this good. Everything I hold against it is essentially not its fault. The biggest problem with it is that it had to pick up the pieces left by the previous two installments. It deals with characters who aren't all that interesting or well established, and has to follow up on so many elements introduced in previous movies. It comes up with good answers to the questions raised by those previous installments though, which is insane and fun, but also commits the sin of having obvious sequel setups that aren't all that great.

Saw IV - After Saw III, it was nice for this one to go back to having more thriller elements, but there are many things that don't work. Rigg's game is simply too hard to believe, and it adds a layer of needless complexity to the series. I recognize it's an ambitious film, but I feel it trips all over itself, unfortunately. I do appreciate it, however. But it was the beginning of egregious retcons, and the introduction of ANOTHER apprentice. I had trouble buying Amanda helping out Jigsaw, but could let it slide. Having Hoffman join in was too much for me at the time, even if I ended up learning to live with it.

Jigsaw - So many great little ideas in here, but it feels like the movie tries far too hard to please everyone. It ends up feeling like it rehashes ideas we've seen before... a lot of those are great ideas (obvious callbacks to the best Saw movies were fantastic), but it also rehashes a lot of BAD ideas from the previous sequels, including introducing YET ANOTHER Jigsaw apprentice that was there from the beginning. The original ideas in it are almost all excellent, and I wish it focused on that. As a long-time fan, I feel like the focus the movie put on trying to please ME was its downfall. The movie also had too many characters, not giving us enough time to truly get attached to its best ones. The cops storyline was nowhere near as interesting as the barn, where ALL the characters were great. The copycat lair also felt like an excuse to show old traps as easter eggs, and served very little purpose for the plot. I don't like when they do that too much. It was a stretch for believability, and did little for me.

Saw V - The black sheep of the series. It has really, really good traps and production design, likely thanks to David Hackl being at the helm. However, its story is a major disappointment. It does little to tie the traps to the actual plot, and while it seemed to give a good backstory for Hoffman, it felt like said backstory was inconsistent, and completely abandoned by the movies. The idea that he was blackmailed into helping Jigsaw was very cool, but made little sense considering Hoffman was replacing Jigsaw after he died. Beyond that, the movie was predictable, lacking in thrills, and overall pretty boring.

Saw 3D - This one still hurts. I have nothing good to say about it. I never thought they should've brought back Dr. Gordon, but knew they'd probably cede to fan pressure after a while, so I decided to go in with an open mind. The thing I dreaded would happen, happened, of course, and the movie surrounding that "twist" was dreadful. The game was, like Saw V's, not connected to the story, had no reason to take place, included no interesting characters, and somehow had this weird and gross mysoginistic vibe to it. Dr. Gordon's involvement was a slap in the face, especially as Leigh, James, Cary, Darren, and Gregg Hoffman themselves have all literally made fun of the idea since fans first started theorizing about it after Saw 1 came out. As a longtime fan, I felt cheated. This one is far, far below any of the other installments, and I hope with all my heart it has no influence on the future of the series.

With all that said, I feel like I said a lot of negative things in this rundown, but it all comes from a place of love and passion for this franchise. I deeply care about it and love it to pieces. I'll be watching these until they stop making them, which I honestly kind of hope never happens, even if they keep getting worse and worse. I still believe in them, and I always will. I'll fall in love with another one of these one day, even if I have to make it myself!
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
97%

Postby ppaiem » October 28th, 2017, 8:49 am

derwahnsinn wrote:I'm curious, why do you guys rank Saw 6 so highly? I don't remember it being amazing. It was definitely better than 5 but I always thought the first 4 were considered "the best".

Saw VI is generally seen as a return to form for the films. Firstly, the story focused on socially revelant topics such as the real estate crash and issues within the private healthcare system. It also further painted Amanda and Jigsaw as tragic characters because we learned that the real reason Amanda was so dedicated to John was not because she felt reborn but rather because of the guilt she felt for accidentally killing his child. It also had some visually impressive traps such as the famous carousel. It was also extemely gory if not equally or more gory than Saw III.
ppaiem
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
30%

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » October 28th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Yeah Saw VI has been my favorite since its release, it takes everything that's great about the saw franchise and crams it into one film, it has amazing pacing and editing and a terrific opening and climax.
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
83.6%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby PacnyTuH0 » October 28th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Ruined the whole franchise for me. I thought that bringing back Dr. Gordon ruined it (as I don't think he fits at all, especially randomly showing up after 6 movies). But coming up with another apprentice from the beginning was a the lamest thing possible. This was not a Saw movie, but rather an action/thriller. No good traps, no twist, no questions, nothing....
PacnyTuH0
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
23%

Postby Ghostface » December 1st, 2017, 11:02 pm

I'm sure 3 being at the bottom is controversial and maybe even outright blasphemous to some, but I never liked 3. It's just too boring for me and it was the point the series became more about the bloodletting.I quite liked Jigsaw and thought it was a strong comeback. It brought back a lot of what worked about the first two but was still it's own thing.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
33%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Logan_Nelson » December 3rd, 2017, 12:09 am

VI
V
III
II
I
VIII
IV
VII (IN ASS-BLASTING 3D)
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
95%

Postby Tais Hoffman » December 3rd, 2017, 11:18 am

My rank:

1. Saw VI
2. Saw III
3. Saw IV
4. Saw
5. Jigsaw
6. Saw V
7. Saw 3D
8. Saw II
"Fool me once, shame you; Fool me twice, shame on me"

Team Hoffman

Tais Hoffman
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
86%

Mood: Heart Broken

Postby Ghostface » December 3rd, 2017, 12:50 pm

Logan_Nelson wrote:VI
V
III
II
I
VIII
IV
VII (IN ASS-BLASTING 3D)

Interesting how 8 is so low on your list despite your username. Then again Amanda is my favorite character and 3 is my least favorite of the series. I liked the Logan character a lot.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
33%

Postby Logan_Nelson » December 3rd, 2017, 5:46 pm

Ghostface wrote:
Logan_Nelson wrote:VI
V
III
II
I
VIII
IV
VII (IN ASS-BLASTING 3D)

Interesting how 8 is so low on your list despite your username. Then again Amanda is my favorite character and 3 is my least favorite of the series. I liked the Logan character a lot.

I know, I didn't expect Jigsaw to make it that low in my list but that's only because of the "there was an apprentice before all the others" storyline. It rehashed what was in the original movies in a way that felt incredibly unoriginal to me so seeing as the movie is a little derivative of the originals I can't place it above them...aside from VII. In regards to characters Logan is one of my favourites, it's the execution of the movie itself that places it so low on my personal list.

As for my username, I made it the day the movie was released and thought it would be taken but I was very wrong haha. Guess I'm the new Jigsaw killer forever on here ;p
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
95%

Postby Ghostface » December 12th, 2017, 4:28 am

I didn't really mind too much that a new disciple got introduced, mainly because I kind of expected it. You know John is definitely dead, Amanda and Hoffman likely are and Gordon wasn't looking to be involved, so I had a hunch a new follower would factor in.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
33%

Previous

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)