Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

James Wan and Saw

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: James Wan and Saw

Postby Vinc360 » November 1st, 2017, 9:24 pm

To be blunt, I think if they want to truly make an impact with general audiences, they need to take big, scary risks with the next one. Make it look like a must-see.

Try to divorce yourself from what we now know, and transport yourself back to 2004, in an era where horror movies are an endless stream of increasingly stale J-horror remakes. Then you see one of those original 30-second clips online showing the reverse bear trap, with "HOW FUCKED UP IS THAT" as intertiles. It was brilliant. They need to find a way to make a new one feel like that again. It's no easy task.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 1st, 2017, 11:01 pm

We are definitely getting one more. I don't actually know but I'm certain it will happen.

I agree with some of the OP's points but I disagree that they've ruined the franchise. I like what Jigsaw brought to the story, but I do think the "it happened before everything else" trope needs to end and they need to move only forwards from here.

And I hope they continue with Jigsaw II as the title. Saw 3D was the worst possible name they could have given it and I refuse to say that out loud. It's Saw VII. As Dr. Gordon said, fuck that shit.
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby saw_gameover » November 2nd, 2017, 1:10 am

Leigh Whannell.

He was the brains behind the original trilogy, not James.
saw_gameover
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
7%

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Postby Vinc360 » November 2nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

saw_gameover wrote:Leigh Whannell.

James and Leigh worked together. James DIRECTED the original Saw and worked on the first three''s stories. I mean hell, James came up with Saw 1's famous twist ending.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby sawguy77 » November 2nd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Logan_Nelson wrote:We are definitely getting one more. I don't actually know but I'm certain it will happen.

I agree with some of the OP's points but I disagree that they've ruined the franchise. I like what Jigsaw brought to the story, but I do think the "it happened before everything else" trope needs to end and they need to move only forwards from here.

And I hope they continue with Jigsaw II as the title. Saw 3D was the worst possible name they could have given it and I refuse to say that out loud. It's Saw VII. As Dr. Gordon said, fuck that shit.

It's certain. am not on it though just fyi.
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby manyofhorror » November 2nd, 2017, 3:07 pm

sawguy77 wrote:
Logan_Nelson wrote:We are definitely getting one more. I don't actually know but I'm certain it will happen.

Hope they get to 10 at least. The writers always liked the title Saw: Endgame which was gonna be 8 back when The Final Chapter was 2 parts, wouldnt mind them reusing that for the final one.
manyofhorror
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby evanmav » November 2nd, 2017, 3:28 pm

Vinc360 wrote:

James and Leigh worked together. James DIRECTED the original Saw and worked on the first three''s stories. I mean hell, James came up with Saw 1's famous twist ending.

I thought I read that James Wan wasn't at all involved with SAW II and that he only came back for SAW III because of the passing of Hoffman and it being the final Saw in their eyes. I know for sure Leigh Whannell was definitely involved with all 3.

Either way I think were past the point of ever getting them involved in a SAW film again. They both totally seem over the series. James Wan is a huge director now, he just wrapped up Aquaman and Leigh has been extremely busy as well.

I'd love for them to come back to the series, but it's wishful thinking at this point.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
66%

Postby Vinc360 » November 2nd, 2017, 4:05 pm

sawguy77 wrote:

Wait really? Did you get confirmation it was happening or am I reading this wrong? That's exciting!

Sorry to hear you're not on it though, you seemed super enthusiastic about the project and I always want the most passionate people attached to movies I care about. While I'm of course unaware of exactly what you did and what your tangible impact on the film was, I'll say that probably my favorite aspect of the movie was the setting, and where it took place. You guys did very good making the barn into a perfect Saw setting.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby Vinc360 » November 2nd, 2017, 4:14 pm

evanmav wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:

I thought I read that James Wan wasn't at all involved with SAW II and that he only came back for SAW III because of the passing of Hoffman and it being the final Saw in their eyes. I know for sure Leigh Whannell was definitely involved with all 3.

Either way I think were past the point of ever getting them involved in a SAW film again. They both totally seem over the series. James Wan is a huge director now, he just wrapped up Aquaman and Leigh has been extremely busy as well.

I'd love for them to come back to the series, but it's wishful thinking at this point.

You're not wrong in that he was very much away focusing on "Shhh" at the time, but unless I'm remembering wrong, Leigh mentioned how helpful he was in sharing ideas for Jigsaw's character.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby Saw Warrior » November 2nd, 2017, 4:21 pm

If a sequel is confirmed, I hope they bring the Spierig brothers back. I liked their directing and style.

The whole crew did good with this movie.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
25.5%

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)