Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Eleanor's Role/Arc in Jigsaw II

Sequel or Prequel?

Eleanor's Role/Arc in Jigsaw II

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 2nd, 2017, 10:34 pm

Alright, this is my first thread here in a very, very long time. I have SO many thoughts about this movie that I'm having a tough time sorting out what should belong in one thread and what should belong in another. Now don't get me wrong, I know that theories and ideas will be interpreted differently and if this board is still anything like HoJ I'll probably lose your respect just by speculating too soon before anything is said about the next instalment. I know I am likely wrong but I want to get your noggin' joggin' and maybe even lend some ideas to anyone who looks to this site for source material from Lionsgate.

The writers have written Jigsaw brilliantly in my opinion. Mainly because they have left such a wide variety of ways to either continue the original timeline or start fresh and do their own thing. This was done by referencing the apprentices' involvement without mentioning any specific characters. "He's come back before". And I think they did that intentionally so that they could see how people reacted to the lack of original characters in the first movie. They have written the story in such a way that Eleanor could have been snooping around the original locations long before anyone else had discovered them, which means that there are a few possibilities for interesting story arcs.

For example, Eleanor could play a role in Hoffman's fate. Yes, I'm bringing Hoffman back into the story for this. Eleanor was the one to mention that "he's come back before" which means she is aware Hoffman and Amanda exist (they probably all do but remember she's a Jigsaw fanatic so she's highly aware of the information exchanged during these scenes). The mock-lair she revealed to Logan shows us she can make a lair, keep it secret, rebuild functional Jigsaw traps, and most importantly, she is the sole possessor of THE Saw used in Saw I and VII. Not only that, but it is placed in a closet and surrounded by candles, inferring worship or a ritual of some kind. At the very least she's proud of its display. How could this affect Hoffman? It all depends on one thing: how and when did she get the Saw?

In this wonderful 10 year gap we have been provided with, the games have stopped, and no one else that we know of has started the games up again since Hoffman. In this time, it's logical to assume that the FBI closed in on all of the locations and discovered the bodies thus closing the Jigsaw case. This would explain the sheer surprise experienced by everyone other than Logan, who reacts to everything with a "meh" attitude. But that leaves a problem. If the FBI found the locations and bodies and closed the case, and Eleanor has the Saw but no one is looking for it, then it's possible that she used her enthusiasm and ability to track down crime scenes to find the original locations before anyone else did. Maybe she went directly to a property that led to the underground tunnels, and she heard Hoffman screaming and calling for help. Maybe she grabbed the Saw and chose to see who was in the bathroom. Maybe Hoffman was dead. Maybe he was still kicking and she left him in there for shitting on the Legacy. Maybe maybe maybe. One thing I am certain of is that Hoffman is dead. That's the only way everyone could be so shocked of Jigsaw's return.

But take all of that with a grain of salt, and then recall that the police were led to her mock-lair where they found the Saw and the Spiralizer Trap's victim as well as exact replicas of the original traps. This sets her up as the prime suspect to police that remain alive, and thats where the movie leaves us. "Eleanor will provide my alibi". All of this leads me to strongly suspect that the next movie may be about the police chasing Eleanor with Logan trying to manipulate her again only to have a classic Saw revelation that blows our minds at the end.

I would love to see the writers use this amazing opportunity to write some interesting and creative answers to the questions Jigsaw has left us with.

What do you guys think? Does this seem like a plausible direction for Jigsaw II? Did I accidentally poke a hole in my speculation with my razor sharp enthusiasm? Do you have any ideas to add that you think might serve as better candidates for a plot?

Let me know! I wanna read what you guys have to say! Thanks for reading! I promise to improve my thread creating abilities as my time hear increases.
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

The Topic Starter

Re: Eleanor's Role/Arc in Jigsaw II

Postby manyofhorror » November 2nd, 2017, 11:22 pm

How Eleanor got that saw I hope will be a big thing in the future, dont just play it off as she bought it online, she had to do some digging herself to find that. Its cool seeing someone whos not an apprentice knowing a shit ton about the case. Imagine a flashback where she heads down there and finds the saw and hears groaning coming from the door infront of her...

Theyll bring Hoffman back at some point, Im one whod rather just leave him dead, but as we know if you dont see someone die on screen, then theyre likely not dead. I enjoyed the "soft-reboot" style Jigsaw had but theyve gotta bring the rest in at some point to keep the story moving. I wanna see Logan go back to his normal life, like the only goal was to get rid of Halloran and stay low, explaining that Logan helped John for a while then went to raise his kid, but games still happen and he knows nothing about them. Thats the main way I see it going without recycling the Hoffman arc under Logan as they are already very similar characters. Look forward to how it plays out! Another year or 2 of speculating oh boy...
manyofhorror
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
90%

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm

manyofhorror wrote:Imagine a flashback where she heads down there and finds the saw and hears groaning coming from the door infront of her...

I really, really want this to happen. Just imagining the sounds of Hoffman behind the bathroom door in a new instalment makes my arm hair stand up. I know the writers do a great job but I can't imagine her winding up with the Saw any other way. Only time will tell though. Fuck I already can't wait a whole year or more lol
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

The Topic Starter

Postby DetectiveChan » November 4th, 2017, 6:41 am

Love this thread and great ideas! If that is indeed the actual saw blade that Gordon threw out then she definitely found the bathroom and found Hoffman. He will be shown soon in some way dead or alive and if the writers are smart they will tie it all together and give the fans what they want!
DetectiveChan
Victim

Rank experience:
10%

Mood: Confident

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 5th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it!! It seems that this theory is being agreed on by many fans and I'm super stoked to see it happen in Jigsaw II...I think I need to write up a better version of the possibilities!
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

The Topic Starter

Postby LukeG » November 5th, 2017, 10:47 pm

You see her expression change when the car gets closer in her last scene. I think that was set up on purpose. Just saw the movie this morning again and thought this was a neat find
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
16.5%

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)