Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Box Office Update

Sequel or Prequel?

Box Office Update

Postby evanmav » November 5th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Just wanted to give everyone an update for JIGSAW based on its 2nd week in the box office.

It ended up making an estimated 6.7 million this weekend. This number could go up slightly or down based on when the actual Sunday numbers come in, though the 6.7 should be pretty accurate.

This brings JIGSAW's total domestic box office to 28.8 million which is already higher than SAW VI's box office. This movie is having better legs than SAW IV, V, VI, and 3D which all dropped more than 60%+ their 2nd week while Jigsaw dropped just 59.7% going against THOR which made 120 Million this weekend. To me this is very impressive for Jigsaw and a solid number for this weekend. This move should make around 35 Million maybe a little more depending on its legs.

Obviously that's still probably not the numbers Lionsgate wanted but it's performing better than people originally thought based on the original numbers. It is also at 59 Million WW already which seems pretty good, but still not sure where it will end WW.

I don't want to mislead people to make them think that 35 million domestic is great by any means, but I do think the box office performance shows that the reception to Jigsaw is pretty solid.

This move should make at least 80 Million WORLDWIDE, and off a 10 million budget that's definitely a success.

Here is the link to the box office data http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=saw2017.htm
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
65%

The Topic Starter

Re: Box Office Update

Postby LukeG » November 5th, 2017, 10:51 pm

I've been surprised with how well it held itself during the second week. Very hopeful for a sequel
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

Postby DetectiveChan » November 6th, 2017, 12:19 am

Saw the writer tweet. Official over 60 million world wide!
DetectiveChan
Victim

Rank experience:
10%

Mood: Confident

Postby HelloZepp-182 » November 6th, 2017, 12:23 am

Saw should make all the monies, so we get more movies.
HelloZepp-182
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
4%

Postby LukeG » November 6th, 2017, 9:58 am

10 million budget + whatever marketing ( assuming 2 mill)

60 million in sales

48 million estimated profit

If you were at Lionsgate what would your decision be?
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

Postby LukeG » November 6th, 2017, 10:01 am

My opinion...

The Saw series is guarantied money. The last Maze runner is coming out this year, hunger games is over. If Lionsgate wants to make money, a sequel is in the works
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
15%

Postby Vinc360 » November 6th, 2017, 2:18 pm

LukeG wrote:10 million budget + whatever marketing ( assuming 2 mill)

60 million in sales

There's absolutely no way marketing is 2 mil. It must've been higher than the production budget of the movie. For most movies, it's around a 1x factor of the production budget. For a low-budget horror movie like Saw, I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing budget was significantly HIGHER than the production budget. Then there's the distribution costs, and the cut taken by theaters and overseas distribution partners. It'll make a profit, but that number isn't it.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92%

Postby Albert-Wesker » November 6th, 2017, 3:26 pm

It's not exactly great, but it's also not bad.
We also have to consider, that it didn't open in all countries yet.
Albert-Wesker
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
29%

Mood: Cool

Postby manyofhorror » November 6th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Vinc360 wrote:
LukeG wrote:10 million budget + whatever marketing ( assuming 2 mill)

60 million in sales

There's absolutely no way marketing is 2 mil. It must've been higher than the production budget of the movie. For most movies, it's around a 1x factor of the production budget. For a low-budget horror movie like Saw, I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing budget was significantly HIGHER than the production budget. Then there's the distribution costs, and the cut taken by theaters and overseas distribution partners. It'll make a profit, but that number isn't it.

Id like to note regarding marketing budget, a 30 seconds trailer played before every adbreak on a late night movie for about 3 weeks on the horror channel which would be 2mil at least alone.

If I were Lionsgate Id go ahead with at least 1 more, Lionsgate are running low on franchises now almost all their biggest ones are done (until they do a hungergames spinoff rumoured for a while), keep the budget the same. I think they can at least go to 10. But again we dont know what goes on behind closed doors, they might have wanted Saw IV numbers due to its time off.
manyofhorror
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 6th, 2017, 4:26 pm

This is excellent news :)

I'm hoping they make enough to at least give us a satisfyingly sequel. But they have to plan it all carefully. If they don't think the sequel will make a lot of money they had better tie up the loose ends.

The way I see it, as long as the final chapter of anything is written well, then fans will be pleased. Saw VII was the opposite of that and now it and it's pink blood are the brunt of every "Saw sucks now" rant. They can't do that again, so as long as the questions are answered and the acting is good I will be thrilled for a sequel even if it's the last one we ever see.

But in my perfect world, Saw X is just as good as Saw VI and the Jigsaw tv show on HBO is so fucking good that people tune into it before Game of Thrones...and they're disappointed with GoT lol
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
83%

Next

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)