Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Box Office Update

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: Box Office Update

Postby LukeG » November 6th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I was bullshitting on the marketing cost. I assumed it would be lower than production. But youre right. Add time was prob 2 mil alone.
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
16.5%

Postby sawguy77 » November 7th, 2017, 3:38 am

manyofhorror wrote:
Vinc360 wrote:
LukeG wrote:10 million budget + whatever marketing ( assuming 2 mill)

60 million in sales

48 million estimated profit

If you were at Lionsgate what would your decision be?

There's absolutely no way marketing is 2 mil. It must've been higher than the production budget of the movie. For most movies, it's around a 1x factor of the production budget. For a low-budget horror movie like Saw, I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing budget was significantly HIGHER than the production budget. Then there's the distribution costs, and the cut taken by theaters and overseas distribution partners. It'll make a profit, but that number isn't it.

Id like to note regarding marketing budget, a 30 seconds trailer played before every adbreak on a late night movie for about 3 weeks on the horror channel which would be 2mil at least alone.

If I were Lionsgate Id go ahead with at least 1 more, Lionsgate are running low on franchises now almost all their biggest ones are done (until they do a hungergames spinoff rumoured for a while), keep the budget the same. I think they can at least go to 10. But again we dont know what goes on behind closed doors, they might have wanted Saw IV numbers due to its time off.

I already said a sequel is guarenteed..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby kramersson » November 7th, 2017, 4:39 am

yes we believe you sawguy77, I hope you get to be involved and don't leave us here hanging!
kramersson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
46%

Postby Themovieman » November 7th, 2017, 4:55 am

Do you know when the sequel will happen sawguy77?
Themovieman
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
59%

1 year of membership

Postby LukeG » November 7th, 2017, 5:19 am

Welcome back ! And thanks for the reassurance :D
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
16.5%

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » November 7th, 2017, 11:25 am

At this stage it's hard to see not getting another sequel. It's highly possible they already have ideas for a sequel ready to go in the event of the film doing well so we should get it some time in the next 2 years.
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
82.4%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby sawguy77 » November 7th, 2017, 2:37 pm

kramersson wrote:yes we believe you sawguy77, I hope you get to be involved and don't leave us here hanging!

I'm not sadly. Just another fan now..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » November 7th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I wonder if the sequel will be out next year. They'll have solid competition in Halloween's reboot... though they're likely to have Halloween weekend to themselves, it'll still only be one week after Halloween comes out.

They need to make a really good one.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby evanmav » November 7th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Vinc360 wrote:I wonder if the sequel will be out next year. They'll have solid competition in Halloween's reboot... though they're likely to have Halloween weekend to themselves, it'll still only be one week after Halloween comes out.

They need to make a really good one.

I was wondering this too, I think it would be fine coming out next year against Halloween's reboot. I mean I'm not entirely sure exactly how popular it'll be anyway, unless it gets critical acclaim. But yes they have to be very careful with the next film as this is make or break for the franchise right now.

I think Jigsaw II could go come out Halloween weekend still and be fine, maybe they could push it to the first week of November if they really were worried. I guess time will tell, but I think with Jigsaw pulling weak numbers, studios will not be afraid to go up against Jigsaw Halloween weekend.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
66%

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » November 7th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I think first week of November would be suicide for a Saw movie. If not October, it would likely be pushed to January. As for Halloween, I do expect it to get good critical reception. Blumhouse seems really invested in the project, and they seem to really be pushing it. They seem to be putting the kind of quality-focused effort behind it that Lionsgate and Twisted should put behind Saw, if they want it to regain some more life. I could be wrong though. But yeah, Saw needs to really increase in quality next time around, I feel.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)