Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Box Office Update

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: Box Office Update

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 7th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I feel like it'll be a year of planning and writing and a year of principle photography/editing before Jigsaw II, so I'll place my bet on 2 years. Just a guess.
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby evanmav » November 7th, 2017, 11:37 pm

I don't know if Lionsgate would want to risk letting any hype they have die by waiting 2 years. SAW films worked because they came out every year, so maybe they will try and recapture that. For the sake of the franchise I think they do need to wait two years, but I'm not so sure Lionsgate wants to do that.

Also regarding the Halloween reboot, I didn't realize Blumhouse was behind that. They've made really solid movies lately and have had great marketing. I actually am a little worried now after hearing that.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
66%

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » November 7th, 2017, 11:59 pm

That is my line of thinking as well. I could be entirely wrong, but I see Halloween generating more excitement than Jigsaw 2 in 2018, and it being of higher perceived quality by the general public. That said, Jigsaw had a fairly strong audience response by all accounts, and of course I myself will always be more excited for Saw, but I'm just trying to speak objectively here. In all honesty, I do see Lionsgate and Twisted taking another swing at it for next year, but I strongly believe they have adjustments to make if they want to make a big impact in the climate they will face in 2018. And these adjustments could be pretty awkward following Jigsaw, as I don't feel they have that much leeway storywise for a sequel, and another reboot so soon after this could be strange and ill-received. I don't know how I would approach this one, as I don't think waiting is the right move, but also don't think making a direct sequel to this one is a great idea either, unless they can be particularly inventive in the way they choose to iterate on Jigsaw 1's formula.

It'll be an interesting one to follow for sure. I might have more incentive to once again poke around as much as I did leading up to this one.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby evanmav » November 8th, 2017, 12:12 am

Vinc360 wrote:That is my line of thinking as well. I could be entirely wrong, but I see Halloween generating more excitement than Jigsaw 2 in 2018, and it being of higher perceived quality by the general public. That said, Jigsaw had a fairly strong audience response by all accounts, and of course I myself will always be more excited for Saw, but I'm just trying to speak objectively here. In all honesty, I do see Lionsgate and Twisted taking another swing at it for next year, but I strongly believe they have adjustments to make if they want to make a big impact in the climate they will face in 2018. And these adjustments could be pretty awkward following Jigsaw, as I don't feel they have that much leeway storywise for a sequel, and another reboot so soon after this could be strange and ill-received. I don't know how I would approach this one, as I don't think waiting is the right move, but also don't think making a direct sequel to this one is a great idea either, unless they can be particularly inventive in the way they choose to iterate on Jigsaw 1's formula.

It'll be an interesting one to follow for sure. I might have more incentive to once again poke around as much as I did leading up to this one.

I honestly think the best way is to go X-Men Days Of Futures Past and do a movie that is essentially a sequel to Jigsaw, but also has elements and characters from the original series. Bring back Dr. Gordon and Hoffman or at least involve them somehow. This will not alienate newcomers because it's a sequel already and new fans of Jigsaw will still watch this movie. Plus it really shouldn't be that confusing to explain Dr. Gordon or Hoffman. Also, I really do feel like 90% of the people who saw Jigsaw had seen at least seen a few of the previous SAW movies.

I think the biggest obstacle is how do you generate more interest and buzz for Jigsaw II than Jigsaw had. I don't think Lionsgate wants to make another SAW movie that will generate only 30-40 million domestically and have to do a major marketing push.

They need to make an insanely great movie that holds up to SAW or SAW II, and I'm just not sure if they can do that since JIGSAW was really their main chance to do that the best. Guess we'll see! I really am interested to see what Lionsgate is going to do next. I hope they bring on board Kevin or Darren to direct. I don't know who they'll get to write the next one, they really should try and get a lot of the original crew back on board.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
66%

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » November 8th, 2017, 12:33 am

I just honestly don't see the old timeline as something they should hold onto, I personally find it broken to the point of being nonredeemable if you consider anything past Saw III. Retconing apprentices in has become such a boring crutch, and something that I don't personally believe has worked since Saw II. They need new ideas, but the old timeline has become so convoluted that mental gymnastics are necessary to make any sense of it, which limits their creative possibilities.

I love Saw, and I still enjoy the movies, but they've become impossible to take seriously, which was a huge part of their appeal back in the James and Leigh days. I wanted this one to go in a different direction, and it started off very well, but their need to make the series continuity work has come back to haunt them, and they used another old trick yet again, and fell into the same trap Saw IV did back in 07. I honestly think the only real way forward to stop the series' decline is a complete reboot that obliterates the old continuity and goes back to a simple, ingenious plot that pulls you in and surprises you, without any of the overarching complexities and over-the-top explanations that the series has become known for past 3.

Part of me enjoys seeing them continue to contort themselves and try to find ways to bring Tobin back posthumously, but the other part of me longs for a true return to form for the series. Leigh Whannell very much meant to make 3 the end, and it's time they treat the series as such, but it doesn't mean the concept isn't ripe for a true new beginning.
Vinc360
Victim

Rank experience:
92.5%

Postby sawguy77 » November 8th, 2017, 12:45 am

Logan_Nelson wrote:I feel like it'll be a year of planning and writing and a year of principle photography/editing before Jigsaw II, so I'll place my bet on 2 years. Just a guess.

I wouldn't bet on that..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 8th, 2017, 12:56 am

What is with you? You're certain there will be another, but you can't say, yet you wouldn't bet on it happening in two years?

So logically you're specifically telling us we will get one next year, without question. You have directly said that, but said you can't say anything.

So thanks for the news. Jigsaw II next year everyone!
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby sawguy77 » November 8th, 2017, 1:01 am

Logan_Nelson wrote:What is with you? You're certain there will be another, but you can't say, yet you wouldn't bet on it happening in two years?

So logically you're specifically telling us we will get one next year, without question. You have directly said that, but said you can't say anything.

So thanks for the news. Jigsaw II next year everyone!

I said i am not working on the next one.. I'm just saying i wouldn't bet on it. Jeez. Your real defensive today. Relax..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby Logan_Nelson » November 8th, 2017, 1:11 am

Well yeah, anything I say that's remotely not super nice gets thrown out of context to make me seem like I'm trying to be an asshole. I came to this site specifically declaring that I want to get along with everyone and talk about Saw and THATS IT.

But nope, Vinc has to go and get you all fussy with me, and now you're taking what I say and being all passive aggressive with me. I know you're not working on the next Saw so you can't know when it'll be out...yet you say you're almost certain it will happen next year and not the year after...but you can't tell us? And you're kinda telling us lol - that does not make sense to me. If you could make sense of it I would have a much easier time respecting your input on the matter.
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
89%

Postby sawguy77 » November 8th, 2017, 1:16 am

Logan_Nelson wrote:Well yeah, anything I say that's remotely not super nice gets thrown out of context to make me seem like I'm trying to be an asshole. I came to this site specifically declaring that I want to get along with everyone and talk about Saw and THATS IT.

But nope, Vinc has to go and get you all fussy with me, and now you're taking what I say and being all passive aggressive with me. I know you're not working on the next Saw so you can't know when it'll be out...yet you say you're almost certain it will happen next year and not the year after...but you can't tell us? And you're kinda telling us lol - that does not make sense to me. If you could make sense of it I would have a much easier time respecting your input on the matter.

I don't know how much more clear i could be.. It was my opinion that's all.. Moving on..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)