Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

The Twist (spoilers, of course)

Sequel or Prequel?

The Twist (spoilers, of course)

Postby losingmymind » November 21st, 2017, 4:05 am

Long-time reader, first-time (well, kinda) poster...

Did anyone else feel like, for perhaps the very first time in Saw history, the twist not only didn't make much sense, but actually distracted and maybe even went against the point of the film? I thought the point of the film was to show the legacy Jigsaw had left behind. This is apparent in the original title of the film (the one that it's still filed under on this very website) and the marketing campaign, which is all about Jigsaw spreading like a virus. This idea was first brought up during Saw VII, and I was under the impression this film was going to finally execute it. We know from the ending that there is, yet again, another apprentice that has been there since the beginning. But how awesome would it have been if this was a killer working completely independent of John Kramer, only using the Jigsaw M.O. and philosophy? When if someone like Eleanor WASN'T a red herring, and actually turned out to be the one behind it all?

I just felt like yet another apprentice who has been tested before and has been working with John from the very beginning seemed kinda cheap and regurgitated. We've had this twist 3 times now.

Overall though, much better film than I expected and one I can't wait to revisit again.
losingmymind
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
4%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: The Twist (spoilers, of course)

Postby Faerie Tanith » November 21st, 2017, 12:34 pm

Totally agree. To someone who is maybe unfamiliar with the rest of the franchise it's maybe a little more credible but to longtime fans it's just confusing and a little bit disappointing. Too much retcon and it feels like they're backtracking on everything the original movies established.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
46%

Mood: Invisible

Re: The Twist (spoilers, of course)

Postby saw_gameover » November 22nd, 2017, 11:45 am

Completely agree.

How it took them 7 years to come up with this storyline is beyond me.
saw_gameover
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
9%

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)