Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

So no unrated verion then.

Sequel or Prequel?

So no unrated verion then.

Postby Themovieman » December 13th, 2017, 2:05 am

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3474074/trap-set-jigsaw-returns-4k-hd-blu-ray-dvd-digital-hd-exclusive/
No mention of an unrated cut. I had a feeling this would happen. VERY disappointing. :(
Themovieman
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
64%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: So no unrated verion then.

Postby Ghostface » December 13th, 2017, 2:21 am

You know, I actually don't mind this. The series was never about the gore from the get-go and I didn't mind how Jigsaw wasn't as extreme as some of the other films. For me it was very much a return to form for the series in that regard, more about the suspense and second-guessing, less about the gore and deaths.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
38%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby Faerie Tanith » December 13th, 2017, 2:25 am

The main difference I noticed between versions was just the very small extra scenes that didn't necessarily involve gore anyway. I can live with this.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

Mood: Invisible

Postby Themovieman » December 13th, 2017, 3:04 am

I'm disappointed because I was hoping for a little extra gore. Mainly in the spiralizer scene.
Themovieman
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
64%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » December 13th, 2017, 3:29 am

The unrated cut usually involves small lines of dialogue being added or removed, scenes being edited slightly differently (though the endings for the theatrical/unrated version of saw 6 were quite different even though basically the same thing happens) and then there are usually a couple of extra seconds of gore thrown in, for example there's an extra scream added when Strahm Is being crushed to death, there is an extra shot of Simone hacking at her arm, things like that. Kind of wanted to see an extended spiral death in jigsaw but I'll live.
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
85.4%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby LukeG » December 13th, 2017, 9:14 am

This is pretty upsetting.
I prefer every director/uncut version over the original release of every Saw film.
I was hoping a director cut or extended DVD would save Jigsaw for me.

Still hope though..
You think it's the living who have ultimate judgment over you, because the dead will have no claim over your soul. But you may be mistaken
LukeG
Victim

Rank experience:
35%

Postby evanmav » December 14th, 2017, 12:57 am

If there is no unrated version it will be a shame. Not really cause of the gore but like others said small things would be added to the film that would make it better and more cohesive. I know for SAW and SAW II they released the unrated version before the release of the newest SAW film so maybe if we do get a SAW IX then it would be released next October? I highly doubt it since dvd's don't really sell too well anymore, but who knows.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
87%

Postby Logan_Nelson » December 14th, 2017, 6:01 pm

I don't know why people are surprised about this. It passed UNCUT for its theatrical release, and I questioned this 3 times on here, twice in the same thread asking about the possibility of an uncut version but no one seemed to take notice of it.

I'm not entirely sure, but it would make sense to me that if a film passes uncut, there's nothing to add afterwards.

Personally I knew this was going to happen but I don't know if logic or luck led me to that conclusion.
Logan_Nelson
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
96%

Postby sawguy77 » December 15th, 2017, 3:16 am

the one in theaters was their original cut..
sawguy77
VIP
VIP

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » December 15th, 2017, 4:50 am

Unrated version isn't all about gore though. The unrated version is usually also synonymous with the director's cut. Which basically means that the director has some free range to add some clips here and there because they were worried it might not pass. With SAW VI Kevin swapped the car driving scene of Amanda/Cecil to be in the beginning of the movie, as well the ending of SAW III ends on Lynne's face instead of whatever it was before. I personally like the unrated because it usually adds around 1-2 minutes of footage and we know that Jigsaw was super short.

It was obvious that lionsgate wanted to go less gory in this one, so it would actually make even more sense to add more gore and release an unrated version. Just because the film didn't originally present gore, doesn't mean they didn't have shots with gore they could add in.

Edit: I think I'm more upset just how lazy it seems. No directors commentary, no unrated cut. Just seems like a bare boned release. I guess Lionsgate might be done with the SAW series. No announcement of a sequel yet so I guess it's not a good sign that this DVD release isn't a point in favor of us getting another sequel.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
87%

Next

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)