Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Is the series dead again?

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: Is the series dead again?

Postby Faerie Tanith » January 6th, 2018, 4:58 pm

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it was... it's had eight movies.
Last edited by Faerie Tanith on January 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

Mood: Invisible

Postby Vinc360 » January 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm

After III, they essentially put the series on fast track and even started talking about future installments before they were actually greenlit. Before then though, they were more deliberate about announcements and only making them when the movie was actually greenlit. Saw 8, for example, was talked about openly before it was greenlit, and when it WASN'T greenlit due to Saw VI's performance, they talked about it like a cancellation. Oren Koules, however, stated those movies were never, ever greenlit before they saw how the previous ones performed. I don't think the lack of an announcement so far is indicative of anything, and I'm sure they'll want to see how it performs on home release before deciding. However, I'm not convinced we're seeing another one next year. I don't think Jigsaw underperformed too badly, but I think it did underperform, and I think it especially didn't resonate with too many people. You don't see buzz about it post-release, people aren't talking about it like they used to. They will likely want to reevaluate what to do next, creatively speaking.

That's my best guess anyway.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
2.5%

1 year of membership

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » January 9th, 2018, 9:47 am

The way the original series stuck to their one every year format plus the way the films ended, it was self implied there would be a sequel for the next year, it was usually around February we got some kind of very small spoiler for the upcoming film (for example, I remember feb 2010 there was a rumour there would be a trap involving a car, which came to fruition). I obviously can't speak for lionsgate but I'd assume they would be very happy with the 8th film in a horror series cracking the 100 million mark and so I'd be very surprised if we don't get at least one more film, Jigsaw proved the franchise still has a big following, so, at worst, you'd assume a sequel would at least make it's money back.
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
85.4%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Previous

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)