Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

HUGE Overlooked Misstep NOBODY Mentions...

Sequel or Prequel?

HUGE Overlooked Misstep NOBODY Mentions...

Postby freespirit777 » February 5th, 2018, 1:28 am

Being a longtime fan of the series since right after Saw 1 was released, I was excited to see this movie, partly for nostalgia but also hoping it's a good story..

anyways, near the end of the movie
when Anna and Ryan were shackled in that room with the shotgun in the middle of the room... that was obviously a similar setup to the bathroom trap from Saw 1..

and my immediate reaction after that scene ended was that I wanted more of it..
it was the most intriguing and simple scene in the movie by far.. and with imo, the most interesting characters (aside from Eleanor)..

I really wish they would've made that scene the focal point of the movie in the same way the bathroom trap was for Saw 1.

They said they wanted to "recreate the feeling of saw 1", and that would've been a great way to do so..

make whatever tweaks necessary to give it more depth to carry across
the entire film..

but man, that scene was so intriguing in the same way the bathroom scenario from saw 1 was.. they were so close to making a good movie absolutely incredible..

anyone else feel this way? doesn't seem to
be discussed ever.
freespirit777
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
37%

The Topic Starter

Re: HUGE Overlooked Misstep NOBODY Mentions...

Postby manyofhorror » February 5th, 2018, 2:12 am

You say nobody but almost this exact post was made a few months back lol :D

I get what you mean but the way Saw developed from a small one room thriller into an extravaganza of gore and complicated plot lines is a hard back track, youll get general cinema goers find it boring with very few traps, I love my films like the original but for better or worse thats not what Saw is anymore. The shotgun scene couldve been a lot longer, but I found it very in Annas character to immediately assume she had to kill Ryan.
manyofhorror
Victim

Rank experience:
56%

Mood: Blah

Postby Albert-Wesker » February 5th, 2018, 3:58 am

I hoped going back to what the first film was would mean a darker, scarier atmosphere again, but the movie totally lacked that.

Concerning the room: I somewhat agree with you. It would've been cool if that scene was a bit longer. Maybe not the whole movie, but somewhat longer.
And I kinda hated how Ryan was left there to rot. He sacrificed his leg for two people he hardly knew and it wasn't his fault, that Anna was too dumb to figure it out.
Albert-Wesker
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
38%

1 year of membership

Mood: Cool

Postby Faerie Tanith » February 5th, 2018, 11:45 am

Literally my first thought in the cinema when I saw Anna and Ryan shackled by their ankles at opposite ends of the room was "well this is a nod to the bathroom trap."
Even more so when Logan slid the door shut at the end; the door to that room is very similar to the bathroom door.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

Mood: Unhappy

Postby freespirit777 » February 5th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Faerie Tanith wrote:Literally my first thought in the cinema when I saw Anna and Ryan shackled by their ankles at opposite ends of the room was "well this is a nod to the bathroom trap."
Even more so when Logan slid the door shut at the end; the door to that room is very similar to the bathroom door.

Even moreso when John closed the door on Ryan and Anna, that was extremely similar to the bathroom trap..

It was such a tease; like they presented us with a scenario that easily could've carried across the entire movie, given us great character depth just like Lawrence and Adam in Saw 1.. plus Anna and Ryan were such interesting characters as well.

I was so biased on the Saw series growing up, but now that i'm older i realize how commercial it is, and not really centered around character development AND simplicity much at all, aside from Saw 1.
freespirit777
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
37%

The Topic Starter

Postby Faerie Tanith » February 5th, 2018, 8:03 pm

It's a shame though, because they do actually give us good characters with interesting backstories and so much potential.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

Mood: Unhappy

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » February 9th, 2018, 8:44 am

While I loved the film for the most part I totally get where you're coming from, can you imagine if most of the film took place in that room and the chills we all would've got if the Hello Zepp theme had started playing when Ryan found the keys (similar to Adam finding the tape at the end of Saw 1)
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
85.4%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby freespirit777 » February 9th, 2018, 9:30 pm

i know, that would've been pretty cool..

it's like we got a condensed, cliff-notes version in that shotgun room scene.. there was so much potential depth and that could've, and should've, been the main premise of the movie.
freespirit777
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
37%

The Topic Starter

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)