Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Postby Vinc360 » January 10th, 2019, 2:28 am

I completely agree on that front, but I'd add that I think they should either move on from the pretend "appreciate your life" motto and do something completely different as you said, or they should actually go BACK to it proper.

At the moment, the last 4 or 5 sequels have all completely warped that aspect and made Kramer into some sort of antihero who kills people who don't respect moral principles.

But from what I'm hearing, they WANT Kramer to be the antihero. I think that's a core thing they keep getting wrong about these Saw movies. The originals were interesting because Jigsaw used twisted and extreme methods to illustrate a pretty valid point: that life is something precious that should be celebrated and appreciated no matter what form it takes. Now it's nearly at the point where righteous ole Jigsaw will put people in death traps for committing tax fraud.

Jigsaw's motto was "Oh you hate your life that much? How about I take it away then?"

That was a really simple and effective thing. In 2 and 3, they successfully expanded on that.

"Oh your relationship with your son is terrible? I bet if I take him away from you it suddenly won't seem so bad."

"You suffered a terrible loss, but it made you forget you're still lucky to have other things in your life."

It's all interesting stuff that really makes you think, Jigsaw was a crazy sadistic asshole, but these extreme metaphorical situations were almost therapeutic to watch for the audience in a way, and forced you to gain a bit of perspective and do some introspection if you related to the victims at all.

Saw VI brought that back to a degree, and I'd like them to go even further with that idea. The victims must be relatable in some ways, rather than terrible people who killed their own children and framed someone else for it, you know?

But from what I'm hearing, the next movie will still feature superhero John Kramer seeking to punish people who committed sins.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
40%

2 years of membership2 years of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » January 10th, 2019, 3:07 am

I do get a genuine impression from the interviews that Burg and Koules are always passionate about each entry and are trying their best for sure, I'm sure you've reported that yourself at one point. But it does seem they never quite grasped what Kramer was about and they veered Kramer's principles off a cliff as soon as Leigh quit and we've been falling ever since. Not to say there's not a certain level of enjoyment to be found in vigilante Jigsaw but the highs of the Leigh entries are a thing of the past. I cant imagine them having an epiphany this deep into it and correcting Kramer's games, think we'll have to wait for the new villain whether he has an entirely new agenda or not. At the very least this next one has a very intriguing concept for the main game, regardless of whether or not the backstory of the victims will compliment it.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
53%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » January 10th, 2019, 3:35 am

I think it comes down to a slight misunderstanding of the core of the character. The whole point is that you're supposed to go "well he does kinda make a point", but the newer movies take that a little too far and warp the original intent behind the character, and what frankly made him so menacing, terrifying and interesting.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
40%

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » January 11th, 2019, 3:31 am

Hey guys. Update! They have a script and agreement. If all goes well, October this year shall be fun.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
40%

The Topic Starter

Postby ColeSmith777 » January 11th, 2019, 3:41 am

Nice! Do we know if it’s still Stolberg and Goldfinger writing it?
These politicians, they say the same thing over and over and over again; "Healthcare decisions should be made by doctors and their patients, not by the government." Well, now I know they're not made by doctors and their patients or by the government. They're made by the insurance companies.
ColeSmith777
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
74%

Postby evanmav » January 11th, 2019, 5:52 am

Vinc360 wrote:Hey guys. Update! They have a script and agreement. If all goes well, October this year shall be fun.

Wow! Was not expecting it this October after all the rumors. Now I'm getting excited, even though I'm still skeptical! Can't wait to hear more!
evanmav
Victim

Rank experience:
3.5%

1 year of membership

Postby ToBENbell » January 11th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I’m so fucking happy!!!! Thanks for the info man! Just really hope they don’t butcher the franchise kinda skeptic this time around because of some of the info you’ve hinted at new hello zepp theme (it’s one of my favourite things about the movies hearing it at the end and seeing everything unfold and shock us, the pretending the other movies were just made up stories and the fact John isn’t dead! He had terminal cancer, his throat slit and an autopsy was performed! So excited for more Saw but hope they don’t ruin this!
ToBENbell
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
51%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » January 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

To be clear, there's still lots to be done before production starts and a date can be set in stone, but this is good progress.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
40%

The Topic Starter

Postby Saw Warrior » January 11th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Very good news! Thanks, Vinc!

So, I assume they'll be looking for directors now. Can't wait to see who's getting hired.

If the movie is getting released this year, then they'll have to rush the hell of it. Then again, Saw movies never had a huge pre production. They can film the whole movie in 1/2 months. Post production usually takes longer. Yeah, this is gonna be interesting.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
65%

1 year of membership

Postby Faerie Tanith » January 12th, 2019, 6:45 am

This is both interesting and nerve wracking.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Mood: Annoyed

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)