Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Postby Faerie Tanith » September 2nd, 2018, 2:01 pm

We'll get our movie one way or another, I'm sure of that.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Mood: Yeehaw

Postby Kitty » September 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

There might be another one? :yippie:
SAW! SAW II! SAW III! SAW IV! SAW V! SAW VI! SAW 3D! and JIGSAW!

I finally found Billy - 29/04/2013 & X on 19/10/2013!
I found Billy again - 03/01/2014!
http://twitter.com/Kitty1Lin
Team Jigsaw
Kitty

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Mood: Heart Broken

Postby Vinc360 » October 1st, 2018, 6:43 pm

Hey, I heard additional details over the weekend. There has been movement and only production was put on ice for now as they try to get a script approved by Lionsgate. Deems they may be a little more hands on than usual this time, and I hear a huge emphasis on quality is being put on this one. Target is Halloween 2019 but it could be pushed if they don't get it right by then.

I know nothing about the current plot intentions, but my understanding is Twisted wanted a direct sequel to Jigsaw and Lionsgate may feel they need to make a splash with something more unexpected.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
17.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Saw Warrior » October 2nd, 2018, 12:32 am

Vinc360 wrote:Hey, I heard additional details over the weekend. There has been movement and only production was put on ice for now as they try to get a script approved by Lionsgate. Deems they may be a little more hands on than usual this time, and I hear a huge emphasis on quality is being put on this one. Target is Halloween 2019 but it could be pushed if they don't get it right by then.

I know nothing about the current plot intentions, but my understanding is Twisted wanted a direct sequel to Jigsaw and Lionsgate may feel they need to make a splash with something more unexpected.

That's great news. I think you should make a new topic with that info. So, a sequel is definitely happening. I hope they don't ignore Jigsaw. I mean, what would be "something more unexpected"? I want to see what happens after Jigsaw.

I'm glad they're focusing on quality. It's important. I think this new movie is getting filmed on November. That's just a guess.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
56.5%

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » October 2nd, 2018, 3:10 am

Vinc360 wrote:Hey, I heard additional details over the weekend. There has been movement and only production was put on ice for now as they try to get a script approved by Lionsgate. Deems they may be a little more hands on than usual this time, and I hear a huge emphasis on quality is being put on this one. Target is Halloween 2019 but it could be pushed if they don't get it right by then.

Awesome news all around, thanks for the update Vinc360. I just read an article the other day that Lionsgate really wants to become kings of horror again. They see how popular it's become and they know they have a solid franchise in their hands. So I'm thinking that's a good sign towards the Saw sequel pushing forward.

I'm glad they're focusing on getting the quality right. I loved Jigsaw, but it was obviously just another Saw sequel and nothing special. I'm wondering what Lionsgate is wanting to do.....a direct sequel to Jigsaw I feel is the only way to go, but make it a sequel to Jigsaw and Saw 3D so that Hoffman and Gordon can be in it.

I REALLY think they need to get Wan to direct, I doubt he will but try and get at least Leigh or Wan back would be huge.

Thanks again for the update, much appreciate since I'm dying for Saw news.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
94%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » October 2nd, 2018, 4:12 am

Saw Warrior wrote:

That's great news. I think you should make a new topic with that info. So, a sequel is definitely happening. I hope they don't ignore Jigsaw. I mean, what would be "something more unexpected"? I want to see what happens after Jigsaw.

I'm glad they're focusing on quality. It's important. I think this new movie is getting filmed on November. That's just a guess.

I honestly expect it to begin production around March, it seems they're still waiting to agree on the script. I do still expect it to be a sequel to Jigsaw from what I hear, but I expect a big hook of some kind. I expect the movie to lean far more heavily on the horror / shock side than Jigsaw did. Jigsaw didn't do bad at all, but it seems Lionsgate was not satisfied and wanted to use the series as a springboard.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but my educated guess is that Lionsgate wants a full reboot while Twisted wants to keep the same continuity (sans 3D, as I know for a fact they're not too happy with that one).

I think they'll land somewhere in the middle. I expect Saw IX to be even less of a sequel than Jigsaw was, but I do still expect it to make sense within the same universe.

More long-term, I also expect the next Saw to set up potential spinoffs as I suspect Lionsgate would like to mimic the Conjuring universe with the Saw franchise. I also know they're pushing really, really hard to bring James Wan and Leigh Whannell back, but neither are interested.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
17.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » October 2nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Exciting news, if Lionsgate do want to try and distance from VIII, I could see Koules and Burg being disappointed, seems as if they actually had sequels planned out from seeds they planted in VIII rather than making things up as they went along like with the original series. Glad to hear they were unhappy with VII, guess this means they're self aware of how awful the Gordon reveal was and hopefully this indicates they don't desire to bring him back. Despite us having yet another apprentice which will inevitable mean we waste significant screen time in boring flashbacks where Kramer / Logan talk in a boring, flat room, I personally do hope they continue with VIII's continuity. I really like Logan / Keith / Eleanor, hope to see more of them.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
46%

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » October 4th, 2018, 3:50 am

Wow this is all very interesting. Surprised that there is some internal fighting going on whether or not to do a direct sequel. I feel like they honestly just did a reboot with Jigsaw and it definitely didn't yield the results Lionsgate was looking for. I'm not quite sure how else they do an even more distant reboot/sequel besides just not including Tobin Bell in it.

If they really do want to do another reboot and somewhat ignore Jigsaw, then I think they need to really really re-evaulate the next sequel. It cannot simply be another Saw movie like Jigsaw essentially was. They should go back to Saw 1 roots and really try and make a simplistic movie that is more storyline intensive and not about having a lot of traps. Because quite frankly audiences didn't really take too much to the rebooted Jigsaw, so another reboot right after Jigsaw sounds like it would be hard to succeed, unless it is a critical hit, which none of the Saw movies ever were except for the original.

At least they are trying to get Wan/Whannel back which shows they at least care about quality and getting this next film right. Sadly I don't think they will sign on because they do seem so over the series, which is sad to me. I think Wan would be perfect and would really bring the saw series back on track.

Honestly the success for the next film really really is going to hang on the marketing of Lionsgate, which I really do think failed with Jigsaw. They could have done much much more,
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
94%

1 year of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » October 4th, 2018, 5:18 am

Jigsaw had a cliffhanger regarding Logan, Eleanor and Keith. Logan is the original apprentice and the movie is pretty clear when it shows Logan and Jigsaw setting up Amanda's reverse bear trap together.

So, the next movie can't ignore that and they can't pretend that Jigsaw didn't happen. Unless of course, they make a direct sequel to Saw 3D and that makes Jigsaw a flashfoward ( events that will happen in the next 10 years, but they don't exist now ).

The problem is that Saw 3D sucks. So I doubt they'll make a direct sequel to that. Jigsaw happens 10 years after John's death. The movie pretty much ignores Saw4,5,6and 3D. You can easily watch Saw 3 and then skip to Jigsaw. Easily.

Point is, Logan talks about Jigsaw's autopsy. We know the autopsy happened in Saw 4, so that makes Saw 4 canon, which means that Hoffman also exists or existed in that universe, which means Saw 5,6 and 3D also happened.

When Logan asks if Jigsaw "is back", Keith says it wouldn't be "the first time". So, it's obvious that other than Jigsaw and Amanda ( whose bodies were found by cops right during Saw 5 events ), there was somebody else making traps. So, it's obvious that Keith was talking about Hoffman, though he didn't mention his name.

I think the new movie could be a direct sequel to Saw 3D and a direct sequel to Jigsaw. Instead of putting tons of flashbacks explaining Logan's story with Jigsaw ( like what happened to Hoffman in Saw 5 ), they could play the events in real time and then sending us to the events after Jigsaw. So, they start right after Saw 3D and then jump to what happens after Jigsaw. That way you think you're watching a sequel to Jigsaw when you're actually watching a flashback being played like if it were in real time and then they twist you by saying it all happens before Jigsaw.

Yeah, another time twist would suck, but I can't see anything different. They have a story with Jigsaw and they can't simply ignore that and pretend that nothing happened. Movie made more than 100 million worldwide on a 10 million budget. Just make a sequel and go ahead, I can barely wait, lol.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
56.5%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » October 4th, 2018, 6:20 pm

From what I understand it's not really fighting but rather a business debate on what the best way to proceed is.

I think if they decide to go with a fresh take again they would treat the next one as an anthology chapter.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
17.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)