Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Sequel or Prequel?

Re: The sequel mighr be on ice indefinitely

Postby evanmav » November 29th, 2018, 5:04 am

Wow so much new info! I don't even know what to think haha. I can't really tell what direction they're going to go in. Seems like they are weighing out a ton of options.

I feel like the next movie is probably not going to be set in current time if they really want John Kramer to be a huge part of the movie. Which I really don't want anymore prequels, I'd like to move the franchise along and I feel like creating a proper sequel to Jigsaw/Saw 7 is the only way to do that. I think they should bring back Logan/Dr.Gordon/Hoffman and maybe 1-2 more characters from Jigsaw.

I don't think fans would be so turned off by the movie if it included past SAW characters. I mean look at Halloween this past October. It was a massive hit and it was essentially a sequel to a movie that came out like 30+ years ago and had characters from the old franchise.

They just need to make a movie that has a solid script and director. The marketing will be key for this movie as well. Halloween's marketing was amazing, Jigsaw had horrible marketing. I'm afraid that if they are aiming for 2019 that they are in some trouble cause I feel like they're going to be rushing this if it's going to come out October 2019 (Unless they are further along then we think).

Realistically they need to put a lot of work into having a creative marketing team on this film. Don't just release a trailer at SDCC and then do no promos until a month out, that won't work again. It worked in the past because the franchise had a huge fan base and the movies came out every year. That is no longer the case from what Jigsaw showed.

I hope they really focus on the quality of the next one. I think it'll come down to the director. I REALLY hope they get someone good such as Wan/Whannel/Greutert/Bousman. I doubt any of them return but we'll see!

A part of me is worried that if they wait until 2020 that will be too much time between movies OR it will be competing against Halloween's sequel film, which is probably going to drop either October 2020 or 2021. I really don't think Saw can compete with Halloween, even if Halloween comes out a week or two before Saw.

They need to get people excited for the next film, I don't know how they do that, but it's possible. The fan base is there, SAW used to be insanely popular. Lionsgate just needs to put some effort in. They should realistically drop some creepy teaser trailer and posters like 6-8 months out. Even just the billy doll laughing or riding the tricycle could be an interesting teaser.

I'm excited for the direction that Lionsgate is heading because it seems like they are taking the series seriously for the first time in a long time and seems like they are putting time and effort into this film. I just hope it's not for nothing.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
99%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » November 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Marketing wise, I think I agree with you that the SDCC focus didn't really work anymore. I also think the movie itsrlf will need a strong marketable hook similar to Halloween. Their hook last time was "Is Jigsaw really dead?" and it didn't really work.

Greutert and Bousman would most likely return if they love the script and were asked, but Lionsgate seems to want someone new. Whannell might come back one day, but that would be if he was given carte blanche.

The big issue currently is that they no longer hire directors until the script is completely done. Greutert had almost 0 input on the story of Saw 3D, and the Spierigs were the same with Jigsaw.

Not many proven great directors will accept a work-for-hire gig unless the script is utterly fantastic.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
26.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » December 1st, 2018, 6:32 pm

Vinc360 wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if the next one includes some characters from Jigsaw, but if Logan is included, I fully expect he'll be used in a different capacity than Jigsaw 1 suggested. And John Kramer will be the antagonist again, for better or worse.

In that case, while it seems they want to steer away from whatever seeds they planted in Jigsaw and the canon of prior films, Kramer would still be "dead" and they'd still have to come up with some crazy explanation why he's still alive. I could see Logan either getting killed off early or his use of the traps was solely for vengeance against Halloran and that's it. If this is the route they go I'm pretty excited to see what insane reason they concoct for Kramer's survival, no doubt it'll be outlandish as hell but any excuse, no matter how dumb will be worth it to see Kramer active again.

There's always the easy route of ignoring every sequel with a reset button, I'd be happy with either option. I'd happily wait for a 2020 release, the more time they spend on this the better.

Also, don't suppose you have any insight on who's writing the script? Is it Stolberg and Goldfinger again?
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
49%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » December 1st, 2018, 8:00 pm

Yep, still Stolberg and Goldfinger
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
26.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Vinc360 » December 9th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Some very concrete information:

So, a finalized first draft of the script will be reviewed in January. A high-level meeting will take place then, and they'll decide on whether or not they're good to go with it. After that, they'll send it out to known horror directors and see if anybody is interested. If they sign a director they like, they plan to go into production in April at the latest, and will spend whatever time they have in between in pre-production.

The goal is very much to release either on Halloween weekend 2019, or the week before, depending on competition. When pre-production begins, we'll get an official acknowledgement. When production begins, we may start to get tidbits of information. We'll get our first trailer at SDCC 2019.

If they don't agree on the script in January or get a director at lead a couple months before April, we won't get a movie next year.

Also heard a potential (working?) title for the movie / script, similar to Legacy for Saw 8. I'll keep it to myself for the time being, but it does corroborate some of what I previously posted.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
26.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » December 9th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Vinc360 wrote:Also heard a potential (working?) title for the movie / script, similar to Legacy for Saw 8. I'll keep it to myself for the time being, but it does corroborate some of what I previously posted.

A New Beginning
Kramer Lives
Jigsaw really is alive this time, we swear, no flashbacks or narrative tricks he's actually alive

If the Halloween sequel gets a 2019 release I hope Saw can stand well enough against it.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
49%

1 year of membership

Postby Vinc360 » December 9th, 2018, 11:00 pm

I guess my one concern is that at a glance it just sounds like it may turn out to be the plot synopsis of Jigsaw, but done differently. Almost like a remake of that movie. But I doubt that's what the movie will actually be. They just need to find a title that communicates that. They didn't keep Legacy either though.

I did also hear they want it to be darker again, and more grounded. They are also not aiming to have any police procedural element this time, so I suppose it may only be an A-plot with the victim's backstory acting as the B-plot of sorts.

But I don't know how that adds a lot of Tobin Bell, so I'm just speculating. It's possible it'll be a Jigsaw trap told from Jigsaw's perspective?
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
26.5%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » December 10th, 2018, 12:46 am

Perhaps it's a trap which involves a lot of direct communication between Kramer and the victim(s)? Like how Eric and Lynn were speaking to John throughout their tests.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
49%

1 year of membership

Postby evanmav » December 10th, 2018, 7:41 am

Vinc360 wrote:I guess my one concern is that at a glance it just sounds like it may turn out to be the plot synopsis of Jigsaw, but done differently. Almost like a remake of that movie. But I doubt that's what the movie will actually be. They just need to find a title that communicates that. They didn't keep Legacy either though.

I did also hear they want it to be darker again, and more grounded. They are also not aiming to have any police procedural element this time, so I suppose it may only be an A-plot with the victim's backstory acting as the B-plot of sorts.

But I don't know how that adds a lot of Tobin Bell, so I'm just speculating. It's possible it'll be a Jigsaw trap told from Jigsaw's perspective?

Thanks for the new info, interesting that they are trying to drop the police procedural element as that is one of my favorite parts of the saw movies because I feel like it adds so much to the tension and thriller portion of the movies. I hope they don't go with a title like Saw Reborn or Saw Legacy. I actually really liked the Jigsaw title, I thought it was very smart for what they were trying to do. So I'm not really sure how they come up with a completely new name now for essentially another "reboot".

I'm very interested to see what the heck they are going to do for the next movie as it sounds like they haven't really locked in yet what they want, but it basically sounds like they want to do Jigsaw 2.0 where they reboot the franchise, but essentially have more John Kramer involved? Not really sure how they do that unless the movie takes place pre Saw III/IV.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
99%

1 year of membership

Postby ToBENbell » December 10th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Personally I would to see plenty of Tobin I don’t believe anyone will ever be able to live up expections on a 2nd Jigsaw. None of them quite understand his method 100% and just end up getting revenge. Johns method is what makes the Saw films what they are. Without his motto it’s just a murderer getting revenge on bad people which is not johns method is about. I would love to finally know how John knows about people’s sins this would be an amazing twist to finally find this out! As I’ve said before I really enjoyed Jigsaw it was a breath of fresh air, a new story and I would of loved to have seen them continue with the characters. A reboot is not needed Jigsaw grossed 100 million worldwide!
ToBENbell
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
48%

1 year of membership

PreviousNext

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)