Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Sequel/Continuation Brainstorming Ideas

Sequel or Prequel?

Sequel/Continuation Brainstorming Ideas

Postby Sinwhale » December 4th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Based on information by Vinc360 on the other thread the continuation of the story is on hold since they are all trying to agree on how to do this, admitting that the Logan situation was a mistake and trying to have as much Kramer as possible.Assuming the fans (or what's left of them here) are heard, maybe we can brainstorm about certain routes that can be followed in the continuation of the story, either by resetting it or continuing it as it is right now.

Since I enjoyed Jigsaw as a separate movie even with all the flaws it had, I'd like to talk about what can be maybe done after the Jigsaw (Legacy) timeline:

Even though I was really annoyed by all the Eleanor theories and fanfiction (especially on reddit), Eleanor was a really fresh and interesting character in this world even if she was used as a red herring so if something should be coming regarding this timeline it should definately have more of her. Either as a part of a follower/explorer of the Jigsaw mantra or as part of hunting the killers or even as something completely new.

My specific idea is to use Silence of the Lambs as a baseline for the next Jigsaw movie and use Eleanor as a Clarice character. Who shall be the prisoner , who shall be Lecter ? Assuming we want an alive character we can't use John Kramer (imagine how amazing it would be though). Excluding Logan which Jigsaw affiliations could still exist 10 years later ? Obvious answers either Dr. Gordon or Hoffman (who is probably deceased-but what if he isn't?). Even though Dr.Gordon is supposed to be the last person to wear the mantle, there's much explaining to be done regarding his character. Instead Hoffman, even though he represents the worst era of the SAW movies for many, is a fleshed out character and it makes so much sense to be in prison 10 years later assuming the cops found the bathroom before he expired.

So 10 years later, Mark Hoffman or Dr.Gordon is in prison (which is something completely fresh for a Jigsaw Apprentice) and his connection to the Jigsaw murders makes him an important figure once again. And maybe a young Eleanor visits that person for assistance in either catching the "copycat" or to introduce herself into the Jigsaw world through the eyes of a person that "lived" with John Kramer in his prime.

Of course, this idea keeps Logan still in the mix as it continues the timeline, which is something that should be avoided, but it could keep him in the background as the "bad" revenge-hungry Jigsaw issuing traps for people, while Eleanor slowly becomes the protagonist thanks to the help of the old imprisoned Apprentice of the past.

Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. Either way, what ideas do you have for the continuation of the story ?
Sinwhale
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
26%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: Sequel/Continuation Brainstorming Ideas

Postby Jigsaw_Expert » December 4th, 2018, 9:19 pm

If they do keep the Jigsaw cast and continue on all they need to do is not have Logan continue the legacy, just have his actions in Jigsaw be vengeance against Halloran / Edgar, that's it. Although he was subdued as a secondary character and didn't get much of an opportunity to shine, I'd like to see Keith brought more into the spotlight, I liked what little we saw of him. I'm personally not a big fan of Eleanor. She's fine meandering in the background but she feels like a cartoon character, like a stand in for a tumblr fanfiction, I really cant take her seriously. In my eyes it's not the Logan character itself that needs to be avoided, I'd argue he was more of a character in one movie than Hoffman was in five. It's just the apprentice part, the implication that he'd continue the legacy.

Also, I got the impression from Vinc's posts that regardless of whether or not they do a real reboot and ignore every sequel or keep some of Jigsaw's cast, Kramer will be alive again and he will be the primary antagonist. A reboot gives them a get out of jail free card from having to explain his survival, while the inclusion of anyone from Jigsaw's cast will force them to come up with some explanation, no matter how ridiculous. If 9 is successful enough to commission more sequels, no doubt they'll keep Kramer around until Bell retires then kill him off. Hopefully by then they'll come to the realization that an important magical ingredient for creating a new villain is avoiding the word "apprentice".

For specific story ideas I don't have anything to contribute, just obvious suggestions about general structure, less--, uh, actually, zero flashbacks, make each movie more self contained, less procedural stuff, etc. I do think Rigg's test in Saw IV in concept is an interesting idea, the idea of someone assuming the different roles of Jigsaw as they progress through the test, but it was severely held back by the limited 90 minute running time and the fact IV had a million different plot threads and characters with no room to fully develop any of them to their potential. Not the mention the budget, interesting idea, a test where someone is going to different locations around a city, but all they could commit to screen were the usual freshly painted sets to emulate a motel / school. Something like that with more focus, time and an actual budget, with the tests even taking place in public. Please have people win the traps too. It's okay to have a main game leave the audience cheering or applauding. Could you imagine how satisfying it would be to see someone like Ryan actually survive? Everything doesn't have to be so edgy and dour.
Jigsaw_Expert
Victim

Rank experience:
49%

1 year of membership

Postby Albert-Wesker » December 5th, 2018, 1:57 am

Honestly, I want a proper Saw 8 with Gordon as the main character or a complete reboot with a completely unconnected killer. If they do a prequel, I'm fine with a movie between Saw 1 and 2 or before Saw 1 with Kramer as the main villain, that would be cool as well.

I did not like Jigsaw since it was neither a real sequel nor a real reboot. It was a weird sequel reboot mix, that messed with the time line and had one of the most boring killer choices possibly (not necessarily the fact it was Logan, but his connection to John).

I think Dr.Gordon as the new Jigsaw could have worked. It's unclear whether he would have continued but they could have simply said he would. Keep the flashbacks at minimum, have him develope his own ideas and reasons to test people. They could even go with the route of him slightly going insane from what happened with him. The Gordon twist did not make a whole lot of sense, but since it has happened they can build upon it and the few scenes with Gordon acting as Jigsaw were pretty cool. Since I like character and actor, I think it would be awesome to continue with him.
So basically a direct sequel to 7 that is also a fresh start and basically startsa new story with him that is dark and closer to Saw 1 and more of a thriller.

If not that, I want a completely new villain (or multiple) with own motives, an own backstory and some differences to Kramer.
Basically make a movie similiar to Saw 1 or Seven with a new, creepy and maybe even more deranged killer. I'm kinda thinking of a dark, twisted psychothriller like those two movies or the game Heavy Rain.

What I don't want is the clean look and lighter tone from Jigsaw.
Albert-Wesker
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
42%

1 year of membership

Mood: Cool

Postby ToBENbell » December 5th, 2018, 2:16 pm

There’s many different routes they could go for

Jigsaw II or JIIGSAW (kind of sad this might not happen I liked Jigsaw)
SAW: The Beginning (a movie all about John before the barn game)
SAW: Rebirth (follow a survivor who is now going to carry on johns work)
WWW.SAW.COM (a unfriended style movie about people paying to seek revenge on people and making it look like a jigsaw trap and ending with John finding them and testing them.)

I want twisted pictures to release some news!!!
ToBENbell
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
48%

1 year of membership

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)