Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Anyone Else...

This halloween, he's pulling out all the stops.

Anyone Else...

Postby Ghostface » July 8th, 2013, 10:48 am

...also have Saw III as their least favorite of the series? For me it's always been the one I've found to be the least entertaining and rewatchable of the series and the only one I struggle to enjoy whenever I sit through the series. Most fans always seem to rank it high and as the best besides the original and some even favor it to the original, but I can do nothing but disagree with this. I remember being so incredibly disappointed when I left the theater on opening day back in October of 2006 and I still haven't warmed up to the film since then. I always find it really boring to sit through, I thought Jeff was a poor protagonist who made the film even more tedious to endure and I felt the ending was extremely underwhelming and weak compared to the first two. Beyond that I also was disappointed with how Amanda's character was handled and didn't like the more gore-centric direction the series went in with it. I love extreme gore as much as the next Horror fan but IMO it was a mistake to try to take the series in that direction.

There are things about the film I do like, though. The Rack is among my favorite traps of the series, I think the music score was by far the best, I enjoyed the flashbacks to the first two movies and though I felt her arc was mishandled, seeing Amanda in a more central role was definitely cool. I also feel it has the best opening of the series with Eric's escape by far. But overall, it's the weakest to me and that's an opinion not many Saw fans seem to share.

I don't mean any disrespect at all, I don't have a problem with anybody liking Saw III or even regarding it as the best, but I wonder if there's any other Saw fans who like it the least of the series? I think this could certainly lead to an interesting discussion given the movie's status among the fans.

For anyone curious about my ranking of the series, it goes:

II
I
VI
V
IV
VII
III

I admit that Saw VII comes very close to being the worst, but ultimately I find it a little more entertaining to watch, thanks to the quicker pace, Dagen being a more interesting protagonist and despite how predictable the ending was I thought it was a neat ending and a good enough way to end the saga. Saw III just bores me every time I try to watch it and I usually only watch it when I marathon the entire series, and even though I just patiently wait for it to end.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
38%

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: Anyone Else...

Postby Kitty » July 19th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I think I'm in the minority but I like SAW III. All of them in fact. :)
SAW! SAW II! SAW III! SAW IV! SAW V! SAW VI! SAW 3D! and JIGSAW!

I finally found Billy - 29/04/2013 & X on 19/10/2013!
I found Billy again - 03/01/2014!
http://twitter.com/Kitty1Lin
Team Jigsaw
Kitty

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Mood: Heart Broken

Postby GingerbreadCoffin » July 19th, 2013, 9:08 pm

I would have been happier if they had let 1 stand alone.
___*******___
____*****____
_____***_____
______*______
GingerbreadCoffin
Urban Legend

Mood: Nervous

Postby VaCcAr0 » August 17th, 2013, 9:11 am

Ghostface, the way you feel about Saw III is the way I feel about Saw IV. Saw IV is my least favorite and I'll only watch it when I'm re-watching the entire series.

But I liked Saw III. It had the best opening (but the ending was a shame). Overall though, I really liked Amanda and Jigsaw's chemistry throughout the whole thing.

In fact, there are times where I wished Saw ended as a trilogy. The first 3 films were by far the best of the bunch.
My Favorite Short Horror Films

Learn Stuff: Intro to Western Civilization, Renaissance Humanism, Absolutism and Mercantilism

"Now that I have found someone I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before. She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly" - Ben Folds Five

VaCcAr0
Board Leader
Board Leader

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Mood: IDGAF

Postby Kitty » August 22nd, 2013, 10:06 am

VaCcAr0 wrote:Ghostface, the way you feel about Saw III is the way I feel about Saw IV. Saw IV is my least favorite and I'll only watch it when I'm re-watching the entire series.

But I liked Saw III. It had the best opening (but the ending was a shame). Overall though, I really liked Amanda and Jigsaw's chemistry throughout the whole thing.

In fact, there are times where I wished Saw ended as a trilogy. The first 3 films were by far the best of the bunch.

Just a thought: Ghostface - SAW III and VaCcAr0 - SAW IV: both of you don't seem to like the movies because they happen simultaneously? :)

Team Jigsaw
Kitty

Postby VaCcAr0 » August 22nd, 2013, 10:14 am

That's not true. I really like Saw III and it was a good idea to have Saw IV take place at the same time as Saw III. I just didn't really like Saw IV.
My Favorite Short Horror Films

Learn Stuff: Intro to Western Civilization, Renaissance Humanism, Absolutism and Mercantilism

"Now that I have found someone I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before. She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly" - Ben Folds Five

VaCcAr0
Board Leader
Board Leader

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Mood: IDGAF

Postby Kitty » August 22nd, 2013, 10:26 am

VaCcAr0 wrote:That's not true. I really like Saw III and it was a good idea to have Saw IV take place at the same time as Saw III. I just didn't really like Saw IV.

Fair enough. :)

Team Jigsaw
Kitty

Postby Ghostface » November 30th, 2017, 9:47 am

3 is still my least favorite.

I quite enjoyed Jigsaw, not a bad addition to the series at all.
Ghostface
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
38%

The Topic Starter

Postby Faerie Tanith » January 24th, 2018, 6:03 am

It's possibly my favourite one... I can't decide. But it's up there.
So far I have met:: Costas Mandylor, Tobin Bell, Julie Benz, J. LaRose, Darren Lynn Bousman, Michael Emerson, Danny Glover

Real Life Amanda Young
Faerie Tanith

1 year of membership

Mood: Mellow

Postby Cynical Corpse » January 29th, 2018, 1:23 am

I can definitelly agree with VaCcAr0, the third one is my least favorite of the series. It involves the death of the main characters, a bad protagonist and what should have been th end of the series.
Just a friendly Cynical Corpse lurking the internet
Love Hurts Creature From The Black Leather Lagoon
Witch In the Woods
Cynical Corpse
SAW Freak

Rank experience:
61.8%

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Mood: Paranoid

Next

Return to SAW III