Hello Guest! Click here to get your FREE Member Account.

Lionsgate to sell the Company

Sequel or Prequel?

Lionsgate to sell the Company

Postby Saw Warrior » February 28th, 2018, 11:19 pm

Good thing Lionsgate doesn't produce Saw movies.

So, if Lionsgate gets sold, then Twisted Pictures will have to find another distributor.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/the-furthe ... l-company/
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
55%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Re: Lionsgate to sell the Company

Postby evanmav » March 1st, 2018, 12:34 am

Probably not a great sign for the SAW series. I could see this holding up the next sequel as Lionsgate might be hesitant to move forward with any project while this is going on... or if a new studio did buy Lionsgate then they might not want to move forward with the Saw Series. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
93%

1 year of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » March 1st, 2018, 12:55 am

evanmav wrote:Probably not a great sign for the SAW series. I could see this holding up the next sequel as Lionsgate might be hesitant to move forward with any project while this is going on... or if a new studio did buy Lionsgate then they might not want to move forward with the Saw Series. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future.

If I'm correct, Lionsgate doesn't own the Saw series. Lionsgate only promotes the movies and does the marketing.

Saw is owned by Twisted Pictures, a production company owned by Mark Burg and Oren Koules. If Lionsgate gets sold, it's Lionsgate's problem. Twisted Pictures can look for another distributor for a new Saw movie.

If a new Saw movie gets made or not, it's up to Twisted Pictures and not Lionsgate. They would be dumb to drop the series, when after 7 years, the 8th movie made more than 100 million worldwide.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
55%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Albert-Wesker » March 1st, 2018, 1:19 am

Hopefully it isn't bought by Disney
Albert-Wesker
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
40%

1 year of membership

Mood: Cool

Postby evanmav » March 1st, 2018, 1:20 am

I'm honestly not entirely sure how it works and what Lionsgate's full role is, but it seems like Lionsgate is very crucial to the franchise. From the articles I read, it was Lionsgate's decision to bring the series back, and Twisted Pictures did not go after any other movie studio when Saw 3D ended and Lionsgate decided to not move forward with a sequel to Saw 3D.

I would assume that Lionsgate shares some of the production costs with Twisted Pictures, because it does seem like Lionsgate has a huge role in the making and production of the Saw movies. If Lionsgate decided not to greenlight a SAW IX, I don't know if the series would be able to move forward.

I feel like Twisted Pictures would have shopped for a different studio years ago if it were that easy to get another studio on board to take over Lionsgate's role, but they never did. Makes me think it would be very hard for the series to move forward without LIongsate's involvement.
evanmav
Fresh Meat

Rank experience:
93%

1 year of membership

Postby IKnowWhoYouAre » March 1st, 2018, 1:41 am

Well, twisted pictures and lionsgate have had a great run together and I'm assuming a stable and professionally friendly working relationship so it could cause problems changing distributor, they need to find one that has no issues with the themes or gore in the films and that is enthusiastic about promoting any new films.
IKnowWhoYouAre
Regular Freak

Rank experience:
85.4%

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby Saw Warrior » March 1st, 2018, 1:44 am

IKnowWhoYouAre wrote:Well, twisted pictures and lionsgate have had a great run together and I'm assuming a stable and professionally friendly working relationship so it could cause problems changing distributor, they need to find one that has no issues with the themes or gore in the films and that is enthusiastic about promoting any new films.

Well, if Lionsgate gets sold, Twisted Pictures will have no choice other than looking for another distributor.

Maybe Screen Gems could be the new distributor.
Saw Warrior
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
55%

1 year of membership

The Topic Starter

Postby Cynical Corpse » March 1st, 2018, 3:23 am

Interesting turn of events, but the SAW franchise wasn't looking too good, and maybe this change in ownership can either improve it or run it to the ground.
Cynical Corpse
SAW Addictive

Rank experience:
18%

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Mood: Paranoid

Postby Vinc360 » March 1st, 2018, 7:08 pm

Lionsgate holds the exclusive distribution rights to Saw until Saw IX, unless the contract expired or was renewed. The rights include giving them the ability to compel or stop production of any Saw movie til then.

Also Twisted isn't planning to release a Saw movie this year, and Saw won't happen without Dan Heffner, who is currently making a different movie called Girlfriends in Winnipeg.

This news could affect Saw, though I doubt it. Expect a new Saw to start shooting in Toronto late this year or early next year, with a Halloween 2019 release. If Lionsgate sells before then, anything goes.
Vinc360
SAW Newbie

Rank experience:
16.5%

1 year of membership

Return to SAW: Legacy (Jigsaw)